Subject: Re: bug#74496: 30.0.91; fullscreen frame set with F11 is shifted when ctwm restarts

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 09:38:35 +0000

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> (defun f11 ()
>    (interactive)
>    (let ((pos (frame-position)))
>      (if (and (not (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen))
> 	     (< (car pos) 0) (< (cdr pos) 0))
> 	(progn
> 	  (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen nil)
> 	  (modify-frame-parameters
> 	   nil '((left . 20) (top . 20) (width . 80) (height . 24))))
>        (toggle-frame-fullscreen))))
>
> (global-set-key [f11] 'f11)
>

Thank you for taking the trouble to compose that snippet.

>  > Do other window managers remember their window frame size history prior
>  > to their current size at time of wm restart after restart?  I could use
>  > the example to show the CTWM maintainers.
>
> The CTWM maintainers will probably tell you that other window managers
> do not allow restarts that keep windows alive.

It's probably not worth troubling the CTWM maintainers.  The ctwm dot
org email archive is no longer showing content.

To stay on topic on this bug, without frame-resize-pixelwise being set
t, F11 fullscreen achieves maximized fullscreen.  When ctwm restart
occurs and when the gap appears on the bottom edge of emacs relative to
the desktop background, couldn't a screen refresh controlled by emacs
call F11 fullscreen, again, and preserve the experience of maximized
fullscreen?  That being the case there's no need to insert in init file

             (setq-default frame-resize-pixelwise t)

Toggle on the fullboth full screen Window Zoom produces the gap at the
bottom edge before ctwm restart and that is solved by the above init
file setting.  Do you see what I mean?

-- 
vl