Subject: bug#74490: 31.0.50; make bootstrap fails

From: Vincenzo Pupillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2024 13:22:30 +0100

Ciao Eli, 
make bootstrap fails today, I think it is due to this commit: 
commit 1c2e0615fb87727bc2aa1f871353c999b67c792a
Author: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Nov 23 04:51:10 2024 -0500

    ; Update ldefs-boot.el

Loading /home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs/lisp/ldefs-boot.el (source)...

Error: void-function (rx)
  (rx (or (seq "." (or "py" "pth" "pyi" "pyw")) (seq "/" (or "SConstruct" 
"SConscript"))) eos)
  (defconst python--auto-mode-alist-regexp (rx (or (seq "." (or "py" "pth" 
"pyi" "pyw")) (seq "/" (or "SConstruct" "SConscript"))) eos))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs/lisp/
ldefs-boot.el" nil t)
  (if eval-function (funcall eval-function buffer (if dump-mode file fullname)) 
(eval-buffer buffer nil (if dump-mode file fullname) nil t))
  (let ((read-symbol-shorthands shorthands)) (if eval-function (funcall eval-
function buffer (if dump-mode file fullname)) (eval-buffer buffer nil (if dump-
mode file fullname) nil t)))
  (let ((load-true-file-name fullname) (load-file-name fullname) (set-auto-
coding-for-load t) (inhibit-file-name-operation nil) shorthands) (with-current-
buffer buffer (set-buffer-multibyte t) (let (deactivate-mark) (insert-file-
contents fullname)) (setq shorthands (and hack-read-symbol-shorthands-function 
(funcall hack-read-symbol-shorthands-function))) (if (and enable-multibyte-
characters (or (eq (coding-system-type last-coding-system-used) 'raw-text))) 
(set-buffer-multibyte nil)) (set-buffer-modified-p nil)) (let ((read-symbol-
shorthands shorthands)) (if eval-function (funcall eval-function buffer (if 
dump-mode file fullname)) (eval-buffer buffer nil (if dump-mode file fullname) nil 
t))))
  (unwind-protect (let ((load-true-file-name fullname) (load-file-name fullname) 
(set-auto-coding-for-load t) (inhibit-file-name-operation nil) shorthands) 
(with-current-buffer buffer (set-buffer-multibyte t) (let (deactivate-mark) 
(insert-file-contents fullname)) (setq shorthands (and hack-read-symbol-
shorthands-function (funcall hack-read-symbol-shorthands-function))) (if (and 
enable-multibyte-characters (or (eq (coding-system-type last-coding-system-
used) 'raw-text))) (set-buffer-multibyte nil)) (set-buffer-modified-p nil)) (let 
((read-symbol-shorthands shorthands)) (if eval-function (funcall eval-function 
buffer (if dump-mode file fullname)) (eval-buffer buffer nil (if dump-mode file 
fullname) nil t)))) (let (kill-buffer-hook kill-buffer-query-functions) (kill-
buffer buffer)))
  (let ((buffer (generate-new-buffer " *load*")) (load-in-progress t) (source 
(string-suffix-p ".el" fullname))) (unless nomessage (if source (message 
"Loading %s (source)..." file) (message "Loading %s..." file))) (when purify-flag 
(push (purecopy file) preloaded-file-list)) (unwind-protect (let ((load-true-
file-name fullname) (load-file-name fullname) (set-auto-coding-for-load t) 
(inhibit-file-name-operation nil) shorthands) (with-current-buffer buffer (set-
buffer-multibyte t) (let (deactivate-mark) (insert-file-contents fullname)) 
(setq shorthands (and hack-read-symbol-shorthands-function (funcall hack-read-
symbol-shorthands-function))) (if (and enable-multibyte-characters (or (eq 
(coding-system-type last-coding-system-used) 'raw-text))) (set-buffer-multibyte 
nil)) (set-buffer-modified-p nil)) (let ((read-symbol-shorthands shorthands)) 
(if eval-function (funcall eval-function buffer (if dump-mode file fullname)) 
(eval-buffer buffer nil (if dump-mode file fullname) nil t)))) (let (kill-buffer-
hook kill-buffer-query-functions) (kill-buffer buffer))) (do-after-load-
evaluation fullname) (unless (or nomessage noninteractive) (if source (message 
"Loading %s (source)...done" file) (message "Loading %s...done" file))) t)
  (if (null (file-readable-p fullname)) (and (null noerror) (signal 'file-error 
(list "Cannot open load file" file))) (let ((buffer (generate-new-buffer " 
*load*")) (load-in-progress t) (source (string-suffix-p ".el" fullname))) 
(unless nomessage (if source (message "Loading %s (source)..." file) (message 
"Loading %s..." file))) (when purify-flag (push (purecopy file) preloaded-file-
list)) (unwind-protect (let ((load-true-file-name fullname) (load-file-name 
fullname) (set-auto-coding-for-load t) (inhibit-file-name-operation nil) 
shorthands) (with-current-buffer buffer (set-buffer-multibyte t) (let 
(deactivate-mark) (insert-file-contents fullname)) (setq shorthands (and hack-
read-symbol-shorthands-function (funcall hack-read-symbol-shorthands-
function))) (if (and enable-multibyte-characters (or (eq (coding-system-type 
last-coding-system-used) 'raw-text))) (set-buffer-multibyte nil)) (set-buffer-
modified-p nil)) (let ((read-symbol-shorthands shorthands)) (if eval-function 
(funcall eval-function buffer (if dump-mode file fullname)) (eval-buffer buffer 
nil (if dump-mode file fullname) nil t)))) (let (kill-buffer-hook kill-buffer-
query-functions) (kill-buffer buffer))) (do-after-load-evaluation fullname) 
(unless (or nomessage noninteractive) (if source (message "Loading %s 
(source)...done" file) (message "Loading %s...done" file))) t))
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs/lisp/ldefs-
boot.el" "/home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs/lisp/ldefs-boot.el" nil nil)
  load("ldefs-boot.el")
  (condition-case nil (load "loaddefs") (file-error (load "ldefs-boot.el")))
  load("loadup.el")
Symbol's function definition is void: rx
make[3]: *** [Makefile:1016: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Error 255
make[3]: uscita dalla directory «/home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs/src»
make[2]: *** [Makefile:554: src] Error 2
make[2]: uscita dalla directory «/home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs»
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1299: actual-bootstrap] Error 2
make[1]: uscita dalla directory «/home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs»
make[1]: ingresso nella directory «/home/vincenzo/Projects/Emacs/emacs»
***
*** "make bootstrap" failed with exit status 2.
***
*** You could try to:
*** - run "make extraclean" and run "make" again (or, equivalently, run
***   "make bootstrap configure=default"), to rebuild Emacs with the
***   default configuration options, which might fix the problem
*** - run "git clean -fdx" and run "make bootstrap" again, which might
***   fix the problem if "make bootstrap configure=default" did not
***   !BEWARE! "git clean -fdx" deletes all files that are not under
***   !BEWARE! version control, which means that all changes to such
***   !BEWARE! files will be lost and cannot be restored later
*** - run "make V=1", which displays the full commands invoked by make,
***   to further investigate the problem
*** - report the problem and ask for help by sending an email to
***   [email-masked], mentioning at least the build error
***   message, the platform, and the repository revision displayed by
***   "git rev-parse HEAD"
***
make[1]: *** [Makefile:418: advice-on-failure] Error 2

Thank you.

Vincenzo