Subject: bug#74488: Why not modernize Emacs

From: Eduardo Ochs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2024 18:58:37 -0300

On Mon, 25 Nov 2024 at 14:59, Raj Divecha via Bug reports for GNU
Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors <[email-masked]>
wrote:
>
> I wish I could contribute but unfortunately I am stuck with my bread
> & butter job. I am a seasoned systems engineer and mostly work on
> C/C++/Python, validating features of various ICs that my company
> manufactures and I know if I want I can work on this non-trivial
> change but at the end of the day my bread & butter job takes
> priority over everything else.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what will it take to get this done? Is there
> a document I can review and get a feel for the amount of work? And
> approximately, how many engineers do you think are needed to work on
> this and the different expertise required? LISP is kind of dead and
> the users might need Python to customize their interface, thus, I
> believe both LISP and Python will have to be supported
> simultaneously.

Hi Raj,

have you read this thread?

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2024-10/msg00018.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2024-10/threads.html#00018

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs