Subject: bug#74469: bug in ispell-buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2024 14:14:15 +0200

> From: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2024 06:08:18 -0600
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > Ispell does not support languages whose text cannot be encoded in single-byte encoding, 
> 
> I am shocked!  See:
> 
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME
> 
> ispell-program-name => "ispell"
> 
> ispell-current-dictionary => "american"

Using the American English dictionary for spell-checking that language
is hardly useful.  You need to install a dictionary for the language
and the use "M-x ispell-change-dictionary" to switch to that
dictionary.  Only after that the use of ispell-buffer can be expected
to produce useful results.

> I would say that ispell has a bug that is so big that you cannot see that it is a bug!  Should we call such a bug
> a 
> 'continental bug'?

It's a known limitation of Ispell the program.  That program is
obsolete for many years, for that reason.

I suggest to install Hunspell or Aspell, together with the dictionary
for that language, and then Emacs will be able to spell-check this
text.