Subject: Re: bug#74469: bug in ispell-buffer

From: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2024 04:17:11 -0600

Dearest Eli,

Perhaps I can answer a few of your questions, but Emacs, as always, answers
the
most. See far below.

Ispell-breaks on:

 ōm namō bhagavatē śrī aruṇācala ramaṇāya

> Breaks how?

Here is the error report I see:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Ispell misalignment: word ‘nam’ point
122; probabl...")
  error("Ispell misalignment: word `%s' point %d; probably ..." "nam" 122)
  ispell-process-line("^> ōm namō bhagavatē śrī aruṇācala ramaṇāya\n" nil)
  ispell-region(1 5627)
  ispell-buffer()
  funcall-interactively(ispell-buffer)
  command-execute(ispell-buffer record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "ispell-buffer" "ispell-b")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "ispell-buffer"
"ispell-b")
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

> Please tell more details about the problem, so we could investigate it
> and attempt to fix it whatever needs fixing.

> Specifically, we need to know the following:

> in what language is the above text written?

I am not certain. 'Indian' is a sick response. Perhaps Tamil? Perhaps
Sanskrit. My Guru, Kumar Saran ([email-masked]) can tell you
precisely. I have cc'd him on this message.

> What spell-checking program do you use as the back-end for ispell-buffer?

I am as dumb as I rock. I have no idea. I use a Chromebook, I am sure. I get
ispell with the single Debian Gnu Linux shell command:

   sudo apt install ispell

> On what Operating System do you see the problem, and in which version of
Emacs?

Whatever comes with a Chromebook, plus the Gnu Linux that Debian provides.
As
Google says, 50 millions teachers and students using Chromebooks can't be
wrong.

I hope that the info below will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
I understand not a word of it.

With Greatest Thanks and Highest Regards,

Bob

P. S.  This all comes from M-x report-emacs...

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2024-06-25, modified by Debian built on x86-conova-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-28.2+1=.
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra ispell
thingatpt cl-indent help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace
help-mode find-func mule-util tabify imenu man time-date vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher dired-aux misearch multi-isearch
cus-start cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit dired dired-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs benchmark time edmacro kmacro derived etags
fileloop generator xref project shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
face-remap finder-inf package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 240198 13901)
 (symbols 48 14013 1)
 (strings 32 45436 8783)
 (string-bytes 1 1495298)
 (vectors 16 34391)
 (vector-slots 8 1311250 181525)
 (floats 8 65 414)
 (intervals 56 13749 2241)
 (buffers 992 27))

P. P. S.

Here is my working directory:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UoCT8YaisJBE-deMYJ8n1VE1rNg6K_MW?usp=drive_link

The file 0README.txt has more about me than you probably care to know.

My favorite quotation comes from Julian of Norwich. She was told: All manner
of thing shall be well. I hope and pray that she was well informed.

to take away the possibility of the vision of the divine essence by man is
to
take away happiness itself -- Aquinas

Therefore Mind thinks itself, if it is that which is best; and its thinking
is a thinking of thinking. -- Aristotle

To a first approximation, every computer in the world is connected with
every
other computer. -- Bob Morris, chief scientist of the National Computer
Security Center of the NSA

Is an explanation for the irrational support for Trump addiction or
stupidity?

Any piece of computer software is nothing but an integer. It is clearly
unconstitutional, under the First Amendment, for the US government to ban
the
publication of an integer.

For What It's Worth, the song that eventually ended the War in Vietnam:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY
Step out of line, the man come and take you away.

Whenever I send email, I imagine I am cc'ing the NYT.

If you have $16,777,216.00 in a bank account and add a dollar, your account
may not grow! Wouldn't that be against some law? Proof by SBCL:
(defparameter y 16777216.0)
(equal y (+ y 1))  => T

I used to wonder how the German people, and so many others, ignored the
Holocaust. Now I know. Thanks to Google, etc., now everybody knows, but too
few care. Step out of line, the man come and take you away.

If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
It were done quickly. -- Shakespeare

Building 7 Collapse Video:  https://www.bitchute.com/video/4BS7J6KQHz97

Believe that a person may be paid to do anything legal? Not so. It is
illegal
to pay someone to register or to vote.

The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell
of
heaven ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.
Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think:
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.
  -- A. E. Houseman

δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν. Those being
preeminent achieve what is possible and the weak acquiesce to it. --
Thucydides, 'Melian Dialogue', book 5, chapter 89, History of the
Peloponnesian War

Most important perhaps are the Ten Commandments, the Golden Rule, and two
phrases from the Delphic Oracle: 1. Know Thyself -- γνῶθι σεαυτόν 2. Give a
pledge and trouble is at hand -- Ἐγγύα πάρα δ' Ἄτα

"whoever enters the White House, even with good intentions to safeguard the
peoples' interest, is no more than a train operator. His only task is to
keep
the train on the tracks that are laid down by the lobbyists in New York and
Washington to serve their interests first" -- Guess who wrote that.

What's done in the dark will be brought to the light,
Go tell that long-tongued liar, God's gonna cut him down -- Johnny Cash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc

Freedom's just another word for nothin left to lose. -- Kris Kristofferson
sung by Janis Joplin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfjon-ZTqzU

Κύριε, ἐλέησον
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI3_-SpgR-s

He was essentially telling the Senators that he, as head of the CIA,
understood that he had been working for the Crown, and not the Constitution.
-- Sy Hersh

If P, then P. If any number is prime, then any number is prime. If any law
is
unconstitutional, then any law is unconstitutional. -- Bob Boyer,
[email-masked]

The Nqthm file 'proveall.lisp' in infix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2yFYLn0Spf1ajY5OHFyQ0J4YTg/view?usp=drive_link&resourcekey=0-vwIVZLWV1rtrG7TQDXEz_g

American legislators often 'reserve' the right to revise and extend their
remarks. May all of us? Imagine you are sitting down to be sworn in to give
testimony and you say to the judge "I will say nothing more unless you agree
that I have the right to revise and extend my remarks. I am so feeble, my
speech is unreliable."

My current Amazon favorites playlist:
 https://music.amazon.com/my/playlists/dad45690-f817-458f-85fe-29c51ff109c4

All that you have is your soul -- Tracy Chapman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoNtYC_XDC8

... and if we tell them that, unless they depart from their `cleverness,'
the
blessed place that is pure of all things evil will not receive them after
death, and here on earth they will always live the life like themselves --
evil men associating with evil -- when they hear this, they will be so
confident in their unscrupulous cleverness that they will think our words
the
talk of fools. -- Plato, Theaetetus

On Fri, Nov 22, 2024 at 1:13 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 23:34:52 -0600
> >
> > ispell-buffer breaks on
> >
> > ōm namō bhagavatē śrī aruṇācala ramaṇāya
>
> Breaks how?
>
> Please tell more details about the problem, so we could investigate it
> and attempt to fix it whatever needs fixing.
>
> Specifically, we need to know the following:
>
>  . in what language is the above text written?
>  . what spell-checking program do you use as the back-end for
>    ispell-buffer? is it Aspell, Hunspell, Enchant, something else?
>  . what dictionary for the above language do you have installed, and
>    where can that dictionary be obtained?
>  . what are the signs of "breakage" of ispell-buffer for the above
>    text? please post any error messages or other indications of
>    problems that you observe when you invoke ispell-buffer on that
>    text
>  . on what Operating System do you see the problem, and in which
>    version of Emacs?
>
> Thanks.
>