Subject: bug#74467: 31.0.50; org-protocol emacsclient.desktop change is not fully functional

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 14:15:14 +0200

> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 23:07:26 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Note that an alternative could be handling file:// URIs by Emacs. Your call.
> >
> > I thought we already did?
> 
> Not really if I open Emacs with a file uri such as
> file:///home/bidar/test.sh /home/bidar/home/bidar/test.sh will be
> opened.

Try

  M-x browse-url RET file:///home/bidar/test.sh RET

Or even better:

  M-x url-handler-mode RET
  C-x C-f file:///home/bidar/test.sh RET

> Would it be possible to call file-name-handlers if a path starts with
> '$uri-name://' for the files passed to Emacs or Emacsclient?

Isn't that what the above does already?

> >> We are obliged to cooperate with other parts of GNU toolchain, don't we?
> >
> > To some extent, yes.  This one goes waaaay beyond that.  I don't
> > understand why Emacs must come with these files, instead of the
> > desktop folks developing and keeping them up to date.  There's nothing
> > specific to Emacs in these files, just a lot of XDG and shell
> > trickery.
> 
> No application I have seen so far does require shell trickery in their
> desktop files. Most of one or two desktop files with some metadata and
> the commands to call and that's it.
> 
> It would be easier for Emacs to follow closer to the standard instead
> asking for separate implementations. I don't know how this could get any
> simpler. Maybe some scripts to generate desktop files for Emacs
> packages if there is no for separate desktop files per modes e.g. a
> desktop file for Gnus or Info mode.

Are you sure you understand all the expectations from the emacs.*
desktop files we have?  There were quite a few bug reports about that,
so if the files themselves don't tell enough, I suggest to look in the
bug-tracker archives.  One thing is clear to me, after seeing quite a
lot of discussions like this one: there's nothing simple about these
files.  And if you haven't yet seen this with other applications, then
perhaps Emacs is special in this regard (as well).