Subject: bug#74457: 30.0.92; `display-tex-shell-buffer' contains `(inhibit-same-window . t)'

From: Sebastian Miele <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 12:01:19 +0100

`display-tex-shell-buffer' (defined in `window') is marked obsolete with
the message "use a `(category . tex-shell)' condition in
`display-buffer-alist'."

The default value of `display-tex-shell-buffer' contains
`(inhibit-same-window . t)'.  I feel that doing

   (add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
                (cons t (cons #'display-buffer-same-window nil)))

should have the desired effect of displaying a TeX shell buffer in the
same window (when compiling TeX files in latex-mode), without having to
alter the value of the obsolete variable `display-tex-shell-buffer'.
But `(inhibit-same-window . t)' in the default value prevents that from
happening.  Instead another frame is popped up or reused.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2024-11-21 built on blatt
Repository revision: 38e6c9e34c30bed3746ad5344057a3883f60c8be
Repository branch: 30/0
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/w/2/emacs-30 --with-pgtk
  --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter --with-json
  --with-mailutils --with-imagemagick 'CFLAGS=-march=ivybridge
  -mtune=ivybridge''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
   outline-minor-mode: t
   global-so-long-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   temp-buffer-resize-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pulse color vc-git diff-mode track-changes
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher bug-reference thingatpt xref project
format-spec cl-extra sh-script smie treesit executable files-x latexenc
tex-mode shell pcomplete help-fns radix-tree cl-print byte-opt debug
backtrace help-mode find-func compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run bytecomp byte-compile comp-common
noutline outline whx-init-quick time-date whx-etc-1--core so-long
whx-etc-buffer--core whx-etc-elisp--core whx-elisp--core rx
whx-etc-gc--core whx-bind--core whx-boot whx-etc-0--core cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit whx-etc-native-comp--core
whx-etc-litter--core no-littering compat whx-etc-fs-path--core
whx-fs-path--core cl-seq whx-string--core whx-log--core whx-0--core
whx-let-set--core whx-symbol--core whx-list--core subr-x whx-meta--core
whx-pcase--core pcase whx-error--core whx-binary-unit-prefix--core
whx-feature--core cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen
pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 153083 15934) (symbols 48 12281 0) (strings 32 39363 2611)
  (string-bytes 1 1720345) (vectors 16 20848)
  (vector-slots 8 265303 10192) (floats 8 162 67) (intervals 56 936 0)
  (buffers 992 18))