Subject: unactionable -no-install warnings on macos during 'make check'

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 09:18:46 +0100

Hi

Gordon noticed that 'make check' in libidn prints warnings on macOS,
which are coming from libtool:

libtool: warning: '-no-install' is ignored for aarch64-apple-darwin23.6.0
libtool: warning: assuming '-no-fast-install' instead

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-libidn/2024-11/msg00006.html
https://gitlab.com/libidn/libidn/-/jobs/8321237800

I haven't analyzed the code in libtool behind the warning, but looking
at this from the outside, if some feature is known to not be supported
on some platform, it doesn't make a lot of sense to warn about that fact
on every compilation.

So two ideas:

1) Could we silence the warning generally?

or

2) Could we silence the warning on some set of architectures which is
known to not support this?  And document that property.

or

3) Have a mechanism for maintainers to disable this warning?

Thanks,
/Simon