Subject: bug#74456: closed (Re: bug#74456: unactionable -no-install warnings on macos during 'make check')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 16:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#74456: unactionable -no-install warnings on macos during 'make check'

which was filed against the libtool package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74456: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74456
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#74456: unactionable -no-install warnings on macos during 'make check'
From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>, Gordon Steemson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 17:59:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

These commits [1][2] have been applied to master which should resolve
this issue, so closing.

[1] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?id=e24d6ec92bcb95e15a75bb6a66067f4b4da05b58
[2] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?id=e66abb28cf2e6cf33b3a3243b5ec7d29f5b1ad51

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354

Subject: unactionable -no-install warnings on macos during 'make check'
From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Gordon Steemson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 09:18:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi

Gordon noticed that 'make check' in libidn prints warnings on macOS,
which are coming from libtool:

libtool: warning: '-no-install' is ignored for aarch64-apple-darwin23.6.0
libtool: warning: assuming '-no-fast-install' instead

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-libidn/2024-11/msg00006.html
https://gitlab.com/libidn/libidn/-/jobs/8321237800

I haven't analyzed the code in libtool behind the warning, but looking
at this from the outside, if some feature is known to not be supported
on some platform, it doesn't make a lot of sense to warn about that fact
on every compilation.

So two ideas:

1) Could we silence the warning generally?

or

2) Could we silence the warning on some set of architectures which is
known to not support this?  And document that property.

or

3) Have a mechanism for maintainers to disable this warning?

Thanks,
/Simon