Subject: bug#74456: unactionable -no-install warnings on macos during 'make check'

From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2024 18:41:25 +0200

On 05/12/2024 22:26, Gordon Steemson wrote:
> I think it is the "unactionable" part that is the problem.  OK, so
> there's a warning message.  What is anyone supposed to do about it?
> There is no apparent source of the offending flag -- it just shows
> up when some packages use libtool, and there's absolutely nothing a
> person compiling such a package can do about it; they just have to
> sit through dozens or hundreds of repetitions of the exact same
> warning.  (I personally have sometimes had such warnings cause my
> logs to balloon past the file rollover point!)  Under these
> circumstances, the warning message is pointless, especially since
> the behaviour assumed instead does not seem to cause any obvious
> problems.

Looking at the warning message, '-no-install' should not be passed
on for aarch64-apple-darwin23.6.0, so the action to take would be
removing the flag from the compilation. The warning message should
not be considered pointless because the flag is hard to find or
because no obvious problems have been observed.

Please look at my previous email for how to disable all libtool
warnings and for my suggested change to libtool to address these old
and hopefully well known warnings. I have applied this change to the
development branch [1].

[1] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?h=development&id=416ff25e14c900ba9cc220f1df0f2ee672cad4c9

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354