Subject: Re: bug#74453: running make failed when perl is installed in the very long path

From: Nick Bowler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 00:14:08 -0500

On 2024-11-20 23:53, Collin Funk wrote:
> "Li, Changqing" via Bug reports for Automake <[email-masked]>
> writes:
> 
>> I met an  issue when try to compile automake with the perl installed
>> in a very long path which larger then max length of shebang ,  here
>> is the reproduce steps
> 
> What shell cut off the path? Seems like a bug in that shell.

#! lines are not typically interpreted by the shell.  Behaviour between
systems varies: POSIX leaves the results explicitly unspecified when
you run a script that begins with these two characters.

The Linux program loader expects to find a newline in the first 128
bytes of the file (increased to 256 in recent versions), otherwise
you will get an ENOEXEC error from execve.

Cheers,
  Nick