Subject: bug#7444: Undocumented option -I ?

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:09:03 -0700

On 11/19/2010 06:52 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> Hi,
> apparently
> (http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/7110/monitor-a-file-with-tail-with-timestamps-added)
> date supports -I switch, but it's undocumented.
> 
> I found it in sources, and it seems to be related to iso format, but
> still - adding it to documentation would be nice.

Yes, -I is a synonym for --iso-8601, but both options were deprecated in
2005 by commit 2c29ba03 (and hence undocumented).  One real fix would be
to start making this option output a warning, so that we can delete it.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2005-09/msg00056.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2005-07/msg00186.html

Another would be to teach getdate.y how to parse 'T' as the separator
between date and time, so that we could reinstate the option (it was
deprecated because we feel badly about supporting an output format that
we can't reparse as an input format).

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org