Subject: bug#74438: 29.1; global-mark-ring does not work as described

From: Sean McAfee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2024 10:48:33 -0800

On Fri, Nov 22, 2024 at 4:39 AM Nikolay Kudryavtsev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> But be aware that you're never really safe if you're relying on the mark
> ring here. If json-diff is an interactive command, nothing is stopping
> the user from pushing another mark to the ring in between of specifying
> file-a and file-b.

Yes.  The command is intended to be used after setting a mark at the start
of a JSON sexp and moving to the start of a JSON sexp somewhere else, and
doing nothing else in between.

> Also, I don't know where did you get the last-global-mark thing, it's
> not something that's in the Emacs 29 or 30's core.
>

Indeed not.  It's from the workaround I described in this thread just
yesterday.

Welp, I'm done.  I've invested more effort into this bug report than I ever
thought would be necessary.  It's the second time in a row that I've
reported a bug to a free software project and had it devolve into me having
to defend my use case.  Fix the code or the docs, or don't.  I'll just use
my workaround.