Subject: Re: [bug#74434] [PATCH] py-compile: Allow user to disable python

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2024 19:04:32 -0700

+case "$PYTHON" in
    +  *python*) ;;
    +  *)
    +  echo "$me: Invalid python executable ${PYTHON}";
    +  echo "$me: Python support disabled";
    +  exit 0;;
    +esac

Thanks. But I'm not sure about requiring the executable name to include
"python". Apart from technically being against GNU standards, I can
imagine people making a link named anything and then using that. For
whatever reason.

Maybe it would suffice to run $PYTHON -V and see if the result matches
grep -i python?

I don't have Python 2.0 (the oldest we claim to support, though I have
my doubts), but it works with Python 2.7.

$ python2.7 -V
Python 2.7.18

Wdyt? --thanks, karl.