Subject: bug#74423: Low level key events

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2024 09:54:15 -0500

> How can we make sure that only the user configures this, and external
> packages do not?

I can't think of a good reason why we would actively want to prevent
external packages from touching this.  At least not via technical means.

As a matter of fact, I think we'd welcome packages dedicated to
configuring this: your code is currently layered as a C part which
provides the low-level events and an ELisp part which constructs useful
semantics out of it, but that ELisp part can be thought of as a separate
package, so we already have an example of useful "external" package
configuring this.  Another package could provide an alternative way to
use those low-level events.

As for "normal" packages (say major modes), I suspect they will tend to
naturally refrain from touching it because it's not
available everywhere.

We may document guidelines about those low-level events alongside our
conventions for key bindings, OTOH.

        Stefan