Subject: bug#74423: Low level key events

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2024 22:01:53 +0200

> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2024 17:54:03 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Cecilio Pardo <[email-masked]>
> 
> Here is a new version of the patch. Sorry it took so long. It
> addresses most of the notes I got:

Thanks.  There are several minor issues with this (first line of doc
strings not a single complete sentence, one space between sentences,
etc.), but I guess this is too early for such details.

Other than that, I have only one comment:

> +  DEFVAR_LISP ("enable-low-level-key-events", Venable_low_level_key_events,
> +	       doc: /* If non-nil, reception of low-level key events is enabled.
> +
> +The value configures the set of keys that are handled:
> +
> +If t, send events for all keys.
> +
> +If a number, send events for the corresponding keysym.  When calling
> +'llk-init', a set of variables with the xk- prefix is initialized with
> +the numeric values for keysyms.  This numbers are platform dependent.

This seems to say that it is impossible to make the value do the same
on all platforms?  If so, I think it's less useful than it could be,
because Emacs generally tries to abstract platform-specific issues as
much as possible, to facilitate platform-independent Lisp programs
that work the same on all supported systems.

Also, there's no information here where to find the list of these xk-
numbers.