Subject: bug#74420: 31.0.50; PCM completion for ~/src/emacs/trunk/*/minibuf breaks

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2024 12:33:00 -0500

Assuming one has an Emacs repo at ~/src/emacs/trunk,

1. emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f C-a C-k ~/src/emacs/trunk/*/minibuf TAB
3. The minibuffer contents change to
   ~/src/emacs/trunk//minibuf
4. Since there's a //, subsequent file name completion tries to complete
   on the root directory, which is not what should happen.

A more concise reproduction:

(completion-pcm-try-completion
 "*/minibuf" '("lisp/minibufA" "src/minibufB") nil (length "*/minibuf"))

evalutes to

("/minibuf" . 8)

We should be preserving the *.  A patch to fix this will follow.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 18, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2024-11-18 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: 6610135a50ac2fd0683a5e467fe33faa81df21b8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.10 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-gif=no --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-native-compilation=yes --prefix=/home/sbaugh/prefix-jane-emacs'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run
bytecomp byte-compile comp-common rx emacsbug message mailcap yank-media
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 107684 9391) (symbols 48 11073 0) (strings 32 32202 1340)
 (string-bytes 1 982590) (vectors 16 14035)
 (vector-slots 8 173934 7491) (floats 8 29 1) (intervals 56 284 0)
 (buffers 984 11))