Subject: Re: bug#74413: [PATCH] Allow to store and read repository information of VCS builds

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 02:10:01 -0800

Björn Bidar <[email-masked]> writes:

> The Android builds obviously have the revision already integrated
> as the logic that I'm trying to reuse here have been already
> implemented for Android.
> I don't know about the Guix build process but for Arch git isn't
> into the change-root when building Emacs from the tarball that has been
> generated before hand.
>
> The OBS can build packages for all kinds of Linux distributions such as
> Flatpak, Debian, Fedora, SUSE, Ubuntu etc.
>
> So this change can help building test builds for all these distributions
> in theory. Personally just building for SUSE.

Could you please see if you can't work around this in the OBS build
scripts themselves?  I'd really rather not introduce yet another
complication into our already extremely complex build process.  Even
understanding the use case here was a struggle, and having this in our
build process means that we have to continue maintaining it.  So for
now, I believe this is a wontfix.  Sorry, and thanks for understanding.

Please let us know if all such efforts fail, however, and we might
reconsider.