Subject: Re: bug#74412: 31.0.50; Treesit-outline conflict with outli in Emacs 31

From: Daan Ro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 15:16:14 +0700

Before treesit.el went to set those variables, there have been already a
bunch of packages based on outline-minor-mode for partitioning code into
sections using comments only by highlighting headers and providing
navigation, folding, etc. inspired by emacs-lisp-mode's outline-regexp
settings.

Such ones enable a feel of "literate" programming by bringing
outline-mode features to code section delimited by headings (special
comments like ";;;", ";; *") using just comments regardless of code
semantic.

The above is my use of outline-minor-mode, maybe other people have
different use cases. treesit.el makes the configuration harder by the
additional variable setting. I wish there's a hook like
treesit-after-major-mode-setup-hook to let people fine-tune or even undo
settings, but of course treesit-disable-features to prevent any
execution from the start is still better.

Daanturo

On Nov 21 2024, at 1:50 am, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 00:06:41 +0700
> > From: Daan Ro <[email-masked]>
> >
> > Personally I also find treesit's decision to set outline variables
> > somewhat intrusive.
>
> I don't understand why. These variables are meant to be set by modes,
> so treesit.el uses them exactly as intended.
>