Subject: Re: bug#74412: 31.0.50; Treesit-outline conflict with outli in Emacs 31

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 20:53:07 +0200

> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
>  "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 19:18:41 +0200
> 
> > Personally I also find treesit's decision to set outline variables
> > somewhat intrusive. I have to advice `treesit-major-mode-setup` to
> > disable that. If only there is an easier way to do it like the
> > attached patch.
> >
> > +(defcustom treesit-enable-outline-settings t
> > +  "Non-nil means Tree sitter-based outline settings are enabled."
> > +  :type 'boolean
> > +  :version "31.1")
> 
> Should such an option be more general and allow
> disabling some other features too?

I don't see a need for an option at all.  All tree-sitter based modes
use these search functions, so treesit.el simply acts on their behalf
here.  It makes no sense to let users control how a major mode
customizes outline-minor-mode, because the major mode is supposed to
know how to adapt outlines with its main syntax, and what a heading
means in the context of that mode.