Subject: Re: [bug#74411] [PATCH v2 4/5] gnu: Add freedict-dictionaries.

From: Runciter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2024 20:53:15 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +(define-public freedict-dictionaries
>> +  (package
>> +    (name "freedict-dictionaries")
>> +    (version "914b5f7")
>
> Regarding the version number of Git snapshots, see
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Version-Numbers.html>.

I don't find anything that looks like an overall upstream version for
the whole freedict-dictionaries package. It seems only individual
dictionaries are (partially?) versioned.

Therefore at this time I don't have a unique and correct argument I
could feed to git-version.

>> +    (arguments
>> +     (list
>> +      #:tests? #f
>
> Please add a short comment explaining why the test suite is skipped
> (such as “no tests”).

Actually There is a "validation" target that could be considered for the
test phase. It lints a xml source file for each dictionary. However it
fails because of a hard-coded "/usr/bin/xmllint" path in
freedict-tools. I added a comment to mention this issue.

This might be fixable; I'll try if requested by a maintainer. I have not
tried yet because it would probably require an extra special measure,
in the form of either a patch or regexp substitution.

Regards,
Runciter