Subject: Re: bug#74409: 30.0.92; customize buffer for bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist also shows unformatted variable value

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2025 14:32:42 -0300

Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> writes:

 > On Fri, Jan 10 2025, Mauro Aranda wrote:
 >> Both :format and :tag keywords are documented under: 15.4.4 Type
 >> Keywords
 >
 > My understanding of what is documented there has been that these
 > keywords are certainly useful, but always optional.  But this bug report
 > shows that not having the :tag keyword can have rather undesirable side
 > effects.  So I was wondering whether the documentation could gently
 > indicate that not having a :tag keyword should be avoided (in what
 > context?).  -- But I do not understand enough details whether the fairly
 > complex customization declarations for bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist that
 > triggered this bug report are too specific a use case to justify this.

I see, yes.  Docs could be improved here.  Not having a :tag, is almost
never a good idea.  This would be specific to the section Defining New
Types.

 > What you say suggests to me that the present bug report #74409 has
 > nothing to do with #53606.  The latter has bothered me yet more.  If you
 > happen to be able to shine light on that one, too, that would be great.

Yes, nothing to do with it.  I think the patch to wid-edit.el I posted
back in 2023 is the right approach to improving that situation.