Subject: bug#74400: 31.0.50; tramp-loaddefs.elc suddenly owned by root

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2024 18:02:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Judging by the name of the directory you show, this is not the
> installation tree, but a build tree, right?

Yes.

> Then it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "make install",
> but with how you run "make", I guess?  because tramp-loaddefs.elc is
> produced by "make", not by "make install".

I don't have an explanation.  But AFAIR I did not call "make" as user
"root", I am very careful to avoid doing that by accident because I have
to clean up a mess afterwards when that happens.

"tramp-loaddefs.elc" is the only file owned by root - which would mean
that the problematic "make" call would have had compiled only one single
file (unlikely).  I would estimate a probability of 75% that this was
not my fault.

I didn't find something like "sudo make" in my bash history either, and
I did not do something like sudo su in the last days.

Michael.