Subject: bug#74395: 'mumi send-email' fails to detect created issue number

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2025 21:04:49 +0900

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using 'mumi send-email', and one annoyance is that it doesn't
> seem to reliably (or at all?) detect the created issue in the tracker,
> even after the issue was synced to the MUMI database and visible through
> the web interface.
>
> For example, the issue https://issues.guix.gnu.org/74394 took about 3
> minutes to be processed by GNU Debbugs and was available in the web
> interface of Mumi, while the 'mumi send-email' client kept printing:
>
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 14 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 13 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 12 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 11 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 10 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 9 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 8 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 7 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 6 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 5 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 4 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 3 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 2 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 1 retries remaining.
> Server has not yet received our email. Will retry in 60 seconds. 0 retries remaining.
> Mail not acknowledged by issue tracker. Giving up.
>
> It'd be nice to investigate and fix that.

The reason is that mumi on the server side attempts to reindex the
complete 20 GiB something of mail archives every 5 minutes, which takes
20 minutes to complete.

We need a finer grained mechanism to process only newly added mails and
avoid doing a full reindex, which is too costly.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim