Subject: bug#74395: 'mumi send-email' fails to detect created issue number

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2025 23:57:32 +0900

Hi Arun,

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
>> The reason is that mumi on the server side attempts to reindex the
>> complete 20 GiB something of mail archives every 5 minutes, which takes
>> 20 minutes to complete.
>>
>> We need a finer grained mechanism to process only newly added mails and
>> avoid doing a full reindex, which is too costly.
>
> Thanks for investigating this. I've been thinking along the same lines
> as well. I can come up with something, but do you have any suggestions
> off the bat?

There's already some code to avoid doing a full re-indexing of the
archived messages, but it wasn't actually used until commit 0e8852b3
("scripts: Do not loose arguments when looping in `update-state!'.") in
mumi, which is recent.

I think reconfiguring mumi at its latest commit could already help,
although the update-state! code currently will run a full update every
10 times, and it's currently configured to run every 30 seconds although
our rsync of debbugs data is every 5 minutes.

We'll have to tweak these values so that a full reindex doesn't happen
so often (perhaps once per day would be sufficient).  The rsync could be
made a bit more aggressively (every minute perhaps) to help reactivity.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim