Subject: bug#74392: closed (Re: bug#74392: parted crash)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 22:11:03 +0000

Your bug report

#74392: parted crash

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74392: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74392
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#74392: parted crash
From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
To: Alexey Kuznetsov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 14:10:32 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Nov 17, 2024 at 12:18:30PM +0300, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
> Hello!
> 
> parted 3.6 crashing when trying to modify debian hybrid iso usb flash
> drive.

[snip]

> Assertion (num > 0) at ../../../libparted/labels/mac.c:964 in function
> _generate_raw_freespace_part() failed.

Thanks for the report, this isn't really a crash -- it's the program
protecting you from doing something bad to the disk. hybrid iso
'disklabels' are not meant to be edited. The combine several things into
one so that they can boot multiple places, but aren't supported as an
actual disk label.

Brian

-- 
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart

Subject: parted crash
From: Alexey Kuznetsov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2024 12:18:30 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

parted 3.6 crashing when trying to modify debian hybrid iso usb flash
drive.

Hybrid means it has all partition types at once (mac, mbr) to make it
boot from all possible hardware. Also being iso compatible.

To create debian hybrid iso image you need use lb (live-build) or
download from debian web site.

How does usb device looks like from different software?

fdisk:

Disk /dev/sdb: 7,28 GiB, 7813988352 bytes, 15261696 sectors
Disk model: Transcend 8GB   
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device         Start       End   Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1  *         64  2928959 2928896  1,4G  0 Empty
/dev/sdb2          6892    15211    8320  4,1M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

gdisk:

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.10

Partition table scan:
  MBR: MBR only
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: not present

***************************************************************
Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
in memory. THIS OPERATION IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! Exit by
typing 'q' if you don't want to convert your MBR partitions
to GPT format!
***************************************************************

parted (crash log):

(parted) rm 2                                                         
(parted) mkpart                                                       
Partition name?  []?                                                  
File system type?  [ext2]?                                            
Start? 6873088                                                        
End? 15261695                                                         
Backtrace has 10 calls on stack:
  10: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_assert+0x50)
[0x7f52ef223cb0]
  9: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x2f24f) [0x7f52ef24324f]
  8: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_disk_commit_to_dev+0x51)
[0x7f52ef226cf1]
  7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_disk_commit+0x28)
[0x7f52ef226de8]
  6: parted(+0xb27f) [0x55660b88a27f]
  5: parted(interactive_mode+0x184) [0x55660b88de74]
  4: parted(main+0x12a8) [0x55660b885db8]
  3: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x29d68) [0x7f52eefaed68]
  2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x85)
[0x7f52eefaee25]
  1: parted(_start+0x21) [0x55660b885e41]

You found a bug in GNU Parted! Here's what you have to do:

Don't panic! The bug has most likely not affected any of your data.
Help us to fix this bug by doing the following:

Check whether the bug has already been fixed by checking
the last version of GNU Parted that you can find at:

	http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/

Please check this version prior to bug reporting.

If this has not been fixed yet or if you don't know how to check,
please visit the GNU Parted website:

	http://www.gnu.org/software/parted

for further information.

Your report should contain the version of this release (3.6)
along with the error message below, the output of

	parted DEVICE unit co print unit s print

and the following history of commands you entered.
Also include any additional information about your setup you
consider important.

Assertion (num > 0) at ../../../libparted/labels/mac.c:964 in function
_generate_raw_freespace_part() failed.

Aborted (core dumped)