Subject: Re: bug#74387: Cannot use Make conditionals

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2024 22:33:50 +0900

Hi Karl,

Karl Berry <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim - thanks for the report and doing the research to find that old
> answer. Do you have any ideas for a better solution? I can't think of
> one. We can't change Automake syntax now. Nor does it seem maintainble
> for automake to have special knowledge of all of make's builtin
> conditionals and match them too.
>
> I'll see about adding something to the manual about the workaround,
> at least. --thanks, karl.

The workaround got rid of the Automake syntax checks, but I faced more
problems passed that.  It was very confusing; the Make conditionals
would not work as I expected.  I could give it another look to see if I
can distill some interesting points from that experiment; I still have
my minimal example around.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim