Subject: Re: bug#74383: 29.4; Emacs PGTK crashes on Void Linux

From: Taha Aziz Ben Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2024 13:23:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Taha Aziz Ben Ali <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2024 12:40:57 +0100
>> 
>> > All the same, the OP's problem is that the gdk-pixbuf library invoked by
>> > the toolkit to load tool-bar images no longer enables XPM support by
>> > default, because, in their words, it was "not being used."  Someone must
>> > volunteer to enable loading tool-bar images with Emacs's image system
>> > instead.
>> 
>> I should have probably mentioned that my early initialization file
>> disables the toolbar along with other visual elements, so it's odd that
>> these images would get created at all.
>> 
>> I assume they're created eagerly so it makes no difference whether or
>> not the toolbar is disabled.
>
> Maybe you should disable it in your ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc?  Or is that
> ~/.themes/THEME/gtk-3.0/gtk.css now?

I'm not sure what to put there. The manual entry [1] for GTK styling
links to a dead resource [2] concerning the GTK styling options. I
suppose it means to reference this page
<https://docs.gtk.org/gtk3/css-overview.html>

Still, that page doesn't say anything about toolbars.

I found this answer [3] which uses "gsettings" and as far as I know,
settings changed through gsettings do not affect Emacs, so I have to
create a stylesheet just as the manual says.

Any pointers?

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/GTK-resources.html
[2]: https://developer-old.gnome.org/gtk3/3.0/GtkCssProvider.html
[3]: https://askubuntu.com/a/359049