Subject: bug#74370: closed (Re: bug#74370: Module aware go build system (for Guix))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2025 13:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#74370: [PATCH 0/4] Module aware go build system, downloader

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74370: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74370
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#74370: Module aware go build system (for Guix)
From: Steve George <[email-masked]>
To: J??rgen Kvalsvik <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2025 14:49:48 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I think there's a common misunderstanding that if you comment on a bug it won't actually notify the submitter (you have to email NNNN-submitter). It's because debbugs was modelled on the idea that there's an "end-user" who's only interest is the initial submission and a final nnnn-done@ email to tell them it's all solved now!

OK, I'm closing #74370. Then you can create a new one when you submit you're new and improved one. Hopefully you and Sharlatan can collaborate on this!

Futurile / Steve

On  8 Apr, J??rgen Kvalsvik wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I don't know what happened, but as you point out I never received
> Sharlatan's emails.
> 
> Anyways, there is still interest, but the approach I proposed is not great.
> I have since (re)written the module aware build system with much better
> results. I am currently adding a bunch of packages (for my own needs) in
> order to get some experience with it and sand down some rough edges, before
> I plan to resubmit the new build system upstream.
> 
> Thanks,
> J??rgen
> 
> On 4/8/25 15:03, Steve George wrote:
> > Hi J??rgen,
> > 
> > You submitted a module aware go build system, there were some queries about it from Sharlatan as there's been a range of attempts at improving this area. Just making you aware so you can reply if you're still interested:
> > 
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74370
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74374
> > 
> > I don't think you were notified as responses have to go to NNNN-submitter for the original reporter to be send the email.
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > 
> > Futurile / Steve
> > 
> > 
> 

Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Module aware go build system, downloader
From: Jørgen Kvalsvik <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jørgen Kvalsvik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2024 22:11:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

I wrote a downloader+build system for go that is module aware.  It
builds on a few slightly different assumptions than the go build system,
but if you have worked on that most should feel familiar. I am posting
these patches to get some feedback and to check with you if this
approach is even viable, or if I should abandon it altogether. My real
goal has been to build hugo, a popular website generator, which has a
large list of dependencies, most of them in go.

Go itself has pretty strong ideas on how to compose systems. In
particular, it wants to statically link everything, pin every dependency
and transitive dependency (combining build system with packaging and
distribution), and strongly prefer full-source builds. This causes some
friction.

These patches chooses to just roll with it, and uses go mod
downloaditself to fetch sources and create a large image of all the
dependencies a project needs to build. This effectively makes it
pointless to package libraries, as the programs using the libraries
would get them from source anyway, but fixing that is future work.

There are a few things I would like to try to do (re-using built
libraries and storing each module in a separate derivation in
particular), but I don't want to tackle that problem unless there is
real interest for this approach.

Thoughts?

Jørgen Kvalsvik (4):
  guix: Add go module fetcher
  guix: add go module aware build system
  guix: Add module aware 'guix import go'
  gnu: Add go-buf.

 Makefile.am                        |   2 +
 gnu/packages/golang-xyz.scm        |  63 +++++++++---
 guix/build-system/go.scm           | 120 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 guix/build/go-mod-build-system.scm | 154 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 guix/go-mod-download.scm           | 146 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 guix/import/go.scm                 |  88 ++++++++++-------
 guix/scripts/import/go.scm         |   6 ++
 7 files changed, 532 insertions(+), 47 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 guix/build/go-mod-build-system.scm
 create mode 100644 guix/go-mod-download.scm

base-commit: 33665c52c4670bc3b4d337c89ac9cc6c4c69b26f
-- 
2.39.5