Subject: bug#74361: [PATCH] New option xref-navigation-display-window-action

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 12:37:36 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2024 17:33:18 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Speaking of the reference that we used for this solution, it seems that
> > 
> >    (category . comint)
> > 
> > is only mentioned in NEWS and in the obsoletion message for 
> > 'display-comint-buffer-action'. There is also a hit for it in the 
> > manual, but only in the form "If the caller display-buffer passes a 
> > category as a symbol ...", not saying exactly that comint modes do or 
> > should do that. Maybe that's something to be fixed as well.
> 
> I will see about documenting it properly, if no one beats me to it.

I've added some minor improvements to the documentation of 'category',
but I don't really see what, if anything, needs to be said about
'comint' in particular.  AFAIU, there's no significance to the
'comint' symbol itself, it's just a convenience feature to allow users
of comint buffers to customize how those buffers are displayed.  (And
I'm not sure I understand how that works, since comint.el doesn't use
that category, AFAICT.)  Which reminds me that I was quite unhappy
about the way this feature was documented, and its current state is
not much better, sadly.

So I don't see what I could add more to the documentation at this
time.

If someone explains to me in small words how this works in comint (and
other modes which provide a similar category symbol), I will see about
improving and clarifying the docs.