Subject: bug#74361: [PATCH] New option xref-navigation-display-window-action

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 21:08:33 +0200

On 20/11/2024 10:37, martin rudalics wrote:
> 
> The function ultimately used by both is 'set-window-buffer'.  One basic
> feature of 'switch-to-buffer' not shared by 'display-buffer-same-window'
> is 'switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point'.  And obviously
> 'switch-to-buffer-obey-display-actions' gives the user the opportunity
> to override the behavior of 'switch-to-buffer' in an arbitrary way while
> 'display-buffer-reuse-window' per se cannot be overridden.  OTOH the
> behavior of the latter can be controlled via alist entries.

I guess the main possible concern is somebody's display-buffer-alist 
customizations that don't use a category, but are just non-specific 
enough to trigger by the new code.

There's not much that could be done, though.

>  > Yep, even the 'mru' strategy doesn't choose the currently selected
>  > window, so this should also work well, selecting "some window" in a
>  > stable fashion (whereas 'lru' - the default - uses a different window
>  > each time).
> 
> I think that the most important improvement of "category" should be to
> override "lru".

The customization capability, you mean? Nice to have indeed.