Subject: Re: bug#74361: [PATCH] New option xref-navigation-display-window-action

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 19:31:18 +0200

>> Yep, even the 'mru' strategy doesn't choose the currently selected
>> window, so this should also work well, selecting "some window" in a
>> stable fashion (whereas 'lru' - the default - uses a different window
>> each time).
>
> I think that the most important improvement of "category" should be to
> override "lru".  It might also help with 'image-dired' for Bug#74246.

Agreed.

> And there should be a convention for setting it up maybe with the help
> of some sort of sub-categories.  IIUC 'comint', 'xref' and 'image' might
> not be distinctive enough for all purposes.  I cannot suggest much here
> because I do not use either of these.

A sub-category could be represented by the same prefix, e.g.
for different calls of display-buffer in xref.el:
'xref-results' for displaying the result buffer (or simply
'xref' since it's the main buffer of the xref package),
'xref-other-window', 'xref-other-frame' for display-buffer
from the respective commands, etc.