Subject: bug#74352: closed (Re: bug#74352: 29.4; emerge-files with tramp + local file fails)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 17:00:08 +0000

Your bug report

#74352: 29.4; emerge-files with tramp + local file fails

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74352: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74352
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#74352: 29.4; emerge-files with tramp + local file fails
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Jörg Sommer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 18:59:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 31.1

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just to know the status: are you still working on this problem?

No response. So I've fixed the diff case. Rcs isn't used widely these
days, I didn't touch it.

Closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.4; emerge-files with tramp + local file fails
From: Jörg Sommer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2024 20:11:10 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

when running `emerge-files` with `/ssh:remote:file` and `~/local-file` I get
the buffer `*emerge-diff-errors*` with:

```
diff: /tmp/tramp.wlcRNL: No such file or directory
diff: /home/joerg/local-file: No such file or directory
```

This change solves the problem:

```diff
diff --git lisp/vc/emerge.el lisp/vc/emerge.el
index ca48f2f3c7b..562041e4232 100644
--- lisp/vc/emerge.el
+++ lisp/vc/emerge.el
@@ -581,6 +581,7 @@ emerge-make-diff-list
   (setq emerge-diff-buffer (get-buffer-create "*emerge-diff*"))
   (with-current-buffer
       emerge-diff-buffer
+    (setq default-directory (file-name-directory file-A))
     (erase-buffer)
     (shell-command
      (format "%s %s %s %s"
```

Regards Jörg

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.42, cairo
 version 1.18.0) of 2024-06-30, modified by Debian built on sbuild
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-29.4+1=.
 -fstack-protector-strong -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -fcf-protection -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  company-statistics-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: #[128 \304\300\301#\207 [yas--auto-fill #[128 \301\302\300!"\207 [auto-fill-function apply default-value] 4 

(fn &rest ARGS)] :around nil apply] 5 advice]
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/devscripts-40/pbuilder-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/devscripts-40/pbuilder-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/devscripts-40/devscripts hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/devscripts-40/devscripts
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/devscripts-40/devscripts-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/devscripts-40/devscripts-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/devscripts-40/devscripts-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/devscripts-40/devscripts-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/devscripts-40/pbuilder-log-view-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/devscripts-40/pbuilder-log-view-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mutt-alias-1.4/mutt-alias-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mutt-alias-1.4/mutt-alias-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mutt-alias-1.4/mutt-alias-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mutt-alias-1.4/mutt-alias-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mutt-alias-1.4/mutt-alias hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mutt-alias-1.4/mutt-alias
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/muttrc-mode-1.2.1/muttrc-mode-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/muttrc-mode-1.2.1/muttrc-mode-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/muttrc-mode-1.2.1/muttrc-mode-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/muttrc-mode-1.2.1/muttrc-mode-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/muttrc-mode-1.2.1/muttrc-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/muttrc-mode-1.2.1/muttrc-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/pod-mode-1.3/pod-mode-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/pod-mode-1.3/pod-mode-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/pod-mode-1.3/pod-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/pod-mode-1.3/pod-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/pod-mode-1.3/pod-mode-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/pod-mode-1.3/pod-mode-autoloads
/home/joerg/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20240918.1138/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/transient
/home/joerg/.config/emacs/elpa/csharp-mode-20221126.2005/csharp-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode
/home/joerg/.config/emacs/elpa/project-0.11.1/project hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/progmodes/project
/home/joerg/.config/emacs/elpa/xref-1.7.0/xref hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/progmodes/xref

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs apropos mule-util
helpful cc-langs trace info-look elisp-refs bug-reference emerge help-fns
radix-tree cl-print expand-region text-mode-expansions cc-mode-expansions
python-el-fgallina-expansions latex-mode-expansions js2-mode-expansions
js-mode-expansions html-mode-expansions css-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom misearch
multi-isearch helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark helm-adaptive
treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags magit-bookmark bookmark pp helm-external
helm-net css-mode sgml-mode facemenu eww url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg mm-url gnus nnheader range winner minibuffer-complete-cycle
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug
backtrace helm-info helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode exif
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp
helm-utils helm-types helm-help helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu
helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async systemd
conf-mode make-mode view lsp-zig lsp-yang lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-wgsl
lsp-volar lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-vetur lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala
lsp-v lsp-typeprof lsp-ttcn3 lsp-trunk lsp-toml lsp-tilt lsp-tex
lsp-terraform lsp-svelte lsp-steep lsp-sqls lsp-sql lsp-sorbet lsp-solidity
lsp-solargraph lsp-semgrep lsp-rust lsp-ruff lsp-ruby-syntax-tree
lsp-ruby-lsp lsp-rubocop lsp-roslyn lsp-rf lsp-remark lsp-racket lsp-r
lsp-qml lsp-pylsp lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh lsp-purescript lsp-pls lsp-php
lsp-perlnavigator lsp-perl lsp-openscad lsp-ocaml lsp-nushell lsp-nix
lsp-nim lsp-nginx lsp-move lsp-mojo lsp-mint lsp-meson lsp-mdx lsp-marksman
lsp-markdown lsp-magik lsp-lua lsp-lisp lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-jq
lsp-javascript lsp-idris lsp-haxe lsp-hack lsp-groovy lsp-graphql
lsp-golangci-lint lsp-glsl lsp-gleam lsp-gdscript lsp-fsharp lsp-fortran
lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-emmet lsp-elm lsp-elixir lsp-earthly
lsp-dockerfile lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-cypher lsp-cucumber lsp-css lsp-csharp
gnutls lsp-crystal lsp-credo lsp-cobol lsp-cmake lsp-clojure lsp-clangd
lsp-bufls lsp-go lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-awk lsp-autotools lsp-astro
lsp-asm lsp-ansible lsp-angular lsp-ada lsp-semantic-tokens lsp-actionscript
python sh-script smie executable lsp-treemacs lsp-treemacs-generic
lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface treemacs-persistence
treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering
treemacs-annotations treemacs-async treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom
treemacs-visuals treemacs-fringe-indicator pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-scope treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
hl-line treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros lsp-ui
lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline lsp-ui-doc
goto-addr lsp-ui-util face-remap lsp-modeline lsp-headerline lsp-icons
lsp-diagnostics flycheck lsp-completion lsp-origami origami origami-parsers
lsp-mode lsp-protocol spinner network-stream nsm lv inline ht f ewoc
js2-mode js c-ts-common treesit cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
jka-compr company-emoji company-emoji-list company-math math-symbol-lists
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator xref
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb guess-language find-func flyspell ispell typo markdown-mode
color noutline outline desktop frameset disp-table whitespace diminish
which-key use-package-diminish dom tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat parse-time
iso8601 recentf tree-widget wid-edit MRU-yank randomsig cl magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files
magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message
sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor comp
comp-cstr shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient benchmark magit-git
magit-base magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor hl-todo compat compat-30
compat-macs dokuwiki-mode derived diff-mode use-package-bind-key bind-key
company-statistics company-auctex react-snippets yasnippet-snippets
yasnippet company latex easy-mmode edmacro kmacro latex-flymake flymake-proc
flymake project compile text-property-search warnings icons thingatpt
tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus xml crm texmathp cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs bitbake dash s mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region
mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat comint ansi-osc ring ansi-color
cl-extra help-mode use-package-core tty-dark-theme finder-inf advice
bitbake-autoloads cmake-font-lock-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads
color-theme-modern-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
company-emoji-autoloads company-fuzzy-autoloads company-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads dpkg-dev-el-autoloads debian-el-autoloads debian-el dired
dired-loaddefs expand-region-autoloads flycheck-rust-autoloads
go-guru-autoloads go-mode-autoloads guess-language-autoloads
helm-c-yasnippet-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads
async-autoloads helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads
jenkinsfile-mode-autoloads groovy-mode-autoloads jq-mode-autoloads
jq-ts-mode-autoloads json-mode-autoloads kconfig-mode-autoloads
know-your-http-well-autoloads lsp-origami-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads
lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads mmm-mode-autoloads move-text-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads nginx-mode-autoloads php-mode-autoloads
po-mode-autoloads restclient-test-autoloads restclient-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads rustic-autoloads flycheck-autoloads project-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads f-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
smartparens-autoloads rx test-simple-autoloads transient-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads posframe-autoloads dash-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads wfnames-autoloads which-key-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads xref-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
devscripts-autoloads mutt-alias-autoloads muttrc-mode-autoloads
pod-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win
pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1166425 809726)
 (symbols 48 69186 1)
 (strings 32 377226 108544)
 (string-bytes 1 11859790)
 (vectors 16 151735)
 (vector-slots 8 3622097 737749)
 (floats 8 922 3217)
 (intervals 56 223573 4049)
 (buffers 984 62))

-- 
Hügelschäfer's Law (http://www.bruhaha.de/laws.html):
Beiträge werden dort gepostet, wo sie den größten Widerstand hervorrufen.