Subject: Re: bug#74339: 30.0.92; CC Mode stomps C TS Mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2024 18:49:14 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2024 10:51:34 -0500
> 
> > I'm personally skeptical that loading a package (or invoking a mode)
> > indicates a strong user preference, but ok, let's call it that.
> 
> Indeed, I think loading a package does not show a strong user
> preference.  As we've seen, it can happen "by accident" in various
> circumstances that are only loosely related to using the code in
> that file.
> 
> Invoking a mode is a significantly stronger signal.

But AFAIU the code in both c-ts-mode and cc-mode is written such that
just invoking the mode (after the mode's package was loaded once)
doesn't modify major-mode-remap-defaults.  So unless I'm missing
something, the current code doesn't support what you think should be
the way for users to express their preference.