Subject: [PATCH v2 2/6] gnu: Remove quotation marks in descriptions.

From: Gabriel Wicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2025 01:36:41 +0100

* gnu/packages/autotools.scm(config): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/bioconductor.scm(r-biosigner, r-biocio): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/calendar.scm (khal): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/cran.scm (r-systemfonts, r-rstan, r-iml, r-survminer,
r-aws-signature): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/crates-graphics.scm (rust-avif-serialize-0.8): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/crates-io.scm (rust-async-process-2, rust-stringprep-0.1): Fix
description.
* gnu/packages/crates-web.scm (rust-hickory-recursor-0.24): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/databases.scm (guile-wiredtiger): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm (emacs-xah-fly-keys, emacs-ob-asymptote,
emacs-swiper, emacs-pyvenv, emacs-envrc, emacs-kind-icon, emacs-vcsh,
emacs-org-web-tools, emacs-org-drill-table, emacs-nhexl-mode): Fix
description.
* gnu/packages/emulators.scm (ppsspp): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/fonts.scm (font-bravura): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/fpga.scm (verilator): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/games.scm (passage): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/guile.scm (guile-zstd): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/haskell-check.scm (ghc-tasty-silver): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/haskell-xyz.scm (ghc-hsyaml, ghc-regex-tdfa, ghc-rio,
ghc-unsafe, ghc-mysql, ghc-witherable, ghc-random-bytestring, ghc-boring): Fix
description.
* gnu/packages/image.scm (steghide): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/minetest.scm (minetest-basic-trains): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/monitoring.scm (pw): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/node-xyz.scm (node-nan, node-serialport-parser-ready): Fix
description.
* gnu/packages/ocaml.scm (ocaml-afl-persistent, ocaml-monolith): Fix
description.
* gnu/packages/opencl.scm (python-pytools): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/perl-check.scm (perl-test-object): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/perl.scm (perl-class-load, perl-devel-globaldestruction, perl-file-which): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm (python-jinja2-time): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/radio.scm (hackrf, bladerf): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/scanner.scm (sane-airscan): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/search.scm (perl-search-xapian): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/shells.scm (nushell): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/shellutils.scm (sh-z): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/statistics.scm (r-datasaurus): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/tcl.scm (itcl): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/tex.scm (texlive-biblatex-morenames, texlive-digiconfigs,
texlive-ordinalpt, texlive-xyling, texlive-yb-book, texlive-lambda-lists,
texlive-texbytopic, texlive-pst-layout, texlive-cancel, texlive-flippdf,
texlive-gmdoc-enhance, texlive-sttools, texlive-suppose, texlive-vgrid,
texlive-wordlike): Fix description.
* gnu/packages/xorg.scm (xkbprint): Fix description.

Change-Id: I24e16b5a7ca740d0ca03091d5b12c6c079ca62db
---
 gnu/packages/autotools.scm       |  7 ++--
 gnu/packages/bioconductor.scm    | 25 ++++++------
 gnu/packages/calendar.scm        |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/cran.scm            | 24 ++++++------
 gnu/packages/crates-graphics.scm |  4 +-
 gnu/packages/crates-io.scm       |  6 +--
 gnu/packages/crates-web.scm      |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/databases.scm       |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm       | 44 +++++++++++----------
 gnu/packages/emulators.scm       |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/fonts.scm           |  4 +-
 gnu/packages/fpga.scm            |  4 +-
 gnu/packages/games.scm           |  4 +-
 gnu/packages/guile.scm           |  3 +-
 gnu/packages/haskell-check.scm   |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/haskell-xyz.scm     | 64 +++++++++++++++++--------------
 gnu/packages/image.scm           |  9 +++--
 gnu/packages/minetest.scm        |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/monitoring.scm      |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/node-xyz.scm        |  4 +-
 gnu/packages/ocaml.scm           |  8 ++--
 gnu/packages/opencl.scm          |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/perl-check.scm      |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/perl.scm            | 12 +++---
 gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm      |  4 +-
 gnu/packages/radio.scm           |  6 +--
 gnu/packages/scanner.scm         | 12 +++---
 gnu/packages/search.scm          |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/shells.scm          |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/shellutils.scm      |  4 +-
 gnu/packages/statistics.scm      | 14 +++----
 gnu/packages/tcl.scm             |  6 +--
 gnu/packages/tex.scm             | 66 ++++++++++++++++----------------
 gnu/packages/xorg.scm            |  2 +-
 34 files changed, 186 insertions(+), 172 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/autotools.scm b/gnu/packages/autotools.scm
index 79d25b59a5..acd495cba3 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/autotools.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/autotools.scm
@@ -541,9 +541,10 @@ (define-public config
        (list help2man))
       (home-page "https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/config")
       (synopsis "Ubiquitous config.guess and config.sub scripts")
-      (description "The `config.guess' script tries to guess a canonical system triple,
-and `config.sub' validates and canonicalizes.  These are used as part of
-configuration in nearly all GNU packages (and many others).")
+      (description "The @command{config.guess} script tries to guess a
+canonical system triple, and @command{config.sub} validates and canonicalizes.
+These are used as part of configuration in nearly all GNU packages (and many
+others).")
       (license gpl2+))))
 
 (define-public libltdl
diff --git a/gnu/packages/bioconductor.scm b/gnu/packages/bioconductor.scm
index de500f5441..0e01a19b06 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/bioconductor.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/bioconductor.scm
@@ -20207,7 +20207,7 @@ (define-public r-biosigner
 assess the relevance of the variables for the prediction performances of the
 classifier.  The approach can be run in parallel with the PLS-DA, Random
 Forest, and SVM binary classifiers.  The signatures and the corresponding
-'restricted' models are returned, enabling future predictions on new
+@emph{restricted} models are returned, enabling future predictions on new
 datasets.")
     (license license:cecill)))
 
@@ -24765,17 +24765,18 @@ (define-public r-biocio
     (home-page "https://bioconductor.org/packages/BiocIO")
     (synopsis "Standard input and output for Bioconductor packages")
     (description
-      "This package implements `import()` and `export()` standard generics for
-importing and exporting biological data formats. `import()` supports
-whole-file as well as chunk-wise iterative import.  The `import()` interface
-optionally provides a standard mechanism for 'lazy' access via `filter()` (on
-row or element-like components of the file resource), `select()` (on
-column-like components of the file resource) and `collect()`.  The `import()`
-interface optionally provides transparent access to remote (e.g.  via https)
-as well as local access.  Developers can register a file extension, e.g.,
-`.loom` for dispatch from character-based URIs to specific `import()` /
-`export()` methods based on classes representing file types, e.g.,
-`LoomFile()`.")
+      "This package implements @code{import()} and @code{export()} standard
+generics for importing and exporting biological data formats. @code{import()}
+supports whole-file as well as chunk-wise iterative import.  The
+@code{import()} interface optionally provides a standard mechanism for
+@emph{lazy} access via @code{filter()} (on row or element-like components of
+the file resource), @code{select()} (on column-like components of the file
+resource) and @code{collect()}.  The @code{import()} interface optionally
+provides transparent access to remote (e.g.  via https) as well as local
+access.  Developers can register a file extension, e.g., @code{.loom} for
+dispatch from character-based URIs to specific @code{import()} /
+@code{export()} methods based on classes representing file types, e.g.,
+@code{LoomFile()}.")
     (license license:artistic2.0)))
 
 (define-public r-msmseda
diff --git a/gnu/packages/calendar.scm b/gnu/packages/calendar.scm
index 6717db867f..63d4ee6a62 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/calendar.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/calendar.scm
@@ -220,7 +220,7 @@ (define-public khal
     (description "Khal is a standards based console calendar program,
 able to synchronize with CalDAV servers through vdirsyncer.  It includes
 both a @acronym{CLI, command-line interface} and a @acronym{TUI, textual user
-interface} named 'ikhal'.")
+interface} named @command{ikhal}.")
     (home-page "https://lostpackets.de/khal/")
     (license license:expat)))
 
diff --git a/gnu/packages/cran.scm b/gnu/packages/cran.scm
index 98597e3bbe..4ed69efbaf 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/cran.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/cran.scm
@@ -31076,9 +31076,9 @@ (define-public r-systemfonts
     (description
      "This package provides system native access to the font catalogue.  As
 font handling varies between systems it is difficult to correctly locate
-installed fonts across different operating systems.  The 'systemfonts' package
-provides bindings to the native libraries for finding font files that can then
-be used further by e.g. graphic devices.")
+installed fonts across different operating systems.  The @code{systemfonts}
+package provides bindings to the native libraries for finding font files that
+can then be used further by e.g. graphic devices.")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public r-graphlayouts
@@ -36713,7 +36713,7 @@ (define-public r-rstan
 and analyze Stan models by accessing the header-only Stan library provided by
 the StanHeaders package.  The Stan project develops a probabilistic
 programming language that implements full Bayesian statistical inference via
-Markov Chain Monte Carlo, rough Bayesian inference via 'variational'
+Markov Chain Monte Carlo, rough Bayesian inference via @emph{variational}
 approximation, and (optionally penalized) maximum likelihood estimation via
 optimization.  In all three cases, automatic differentiation is used to
 quickly and accurately evaluate gradients without burdening the user with the
@@ -38563,9 +38563,9 @@ (define-public r-iml
 @item Feature importance described by Fisher et al. (2018),
 @item accumulated local effects plots described by Apley (2018),
 @item partial dependence plots described by Friedman (2001),
-@item individual conditional expectation ('ice') plots described by Goldstein
-  et al. (2013) @url{https://doi.org/10.1080/10618600.2014.907095},
-@item local models (variant of 'lime') described by Ribeiro et. al (2016),
+@item @acronym{ICE, individual conditional expectation} plots described by
+Goldstein et al. (2013) @url{https://doi.org/10.1080/10618600.2014.907095},
+@item local models (variant of @emph{lime}) described by Ribeiro et. al (2016),
 @item the Shapley Value described by Strumbelj et. al (2014)
   @url{https://doi.org/10.1007/s10115-013-0679-x},
 @item feature interactions described by Friedman et. al
@@ -39644,10 +39644,10 @@ (define-public r-survminer
     (synopsis "Drawing survival curves using ggplot2")
     (description
      "This package contains the function @code{ggsurvplot()} for easily
-drawing beautiful and 'ready-to-publish' survival curves with the 'number at
-risk' table and 'censoring count plot'.  Other functions are also available to
-plot adjusted curves for Cox model and to visually examine Cox model
-assumptions.")
+drawing beautiful and @emph{ready-to-publish} survival curves with the
+@emph{number at risk} table and @emph{censoring count plot}.  Other functions
+are also available to plot adjusted curves for Cox model and to visually
+examine Cox model assumptions.")
     (license license:gpl2)))
 
 (define-public r-forge
@@ -41490,7 +41490,7 @@ (define-public r-aws-signature
      "This package generates version 2 and 4 request signatures for Amazon Web
 Services (AWS) and provides a mechanism for retrieving credentials from
 environment variables, AWS credentials files, and EC2 instance metadata.  For
-use on EC2 instances, the package 'aws.ec2metadata' is suggested.")
+use on EC2 instances, the package @emph{aws.ec2metadata} is suggested.")
     (license license:gpl2+)))
 
 (define-public r-aws-s3
diff --git a/gnu/packages/crates-graphics.scm b/gnu/packages/crates-graphics.scm
index 9d7f44693a..0b26cd5419 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/crates-graphics.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/crates-graphics.scm
@@ -484,8 +484,8 @@ (define-public rust-avif-serialize-0.8
     (description
      "This package provides a minimal writer for AVIF header structure.  This
 is a tiny alternative to @code{libavif}.  It creates the jungle of
-MPEG/HEIF/MIAF/ISO-BMFF ``boxes'' as appropriate for AVIF files.  It supports
-alpha channel embedding.")
+MPEG/HEIF/MIAF/ISO-BMFF @emph{boxes} as appropriate for AVIF files.  It
+supports alpha channel embedding.")
     (license license:bsd-3)))
 
 (define-public rust-avif-serialize-0.7
diff --git a/gnu/packages/crates-io.scm b/gnu/packages/crates-io.scm
index e7cb49c028..285b0a60e5 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/crates-io.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/crates-io.scm
@@ -5711,7 +5711,7 @@ (define-public rust-async-process-2
      "This crate is an async version of @code{std::process}.  A background
 thread named @code{async-process} is lazily created on first use, which waits
 for spawned child processes to exit and then calls the @code{wait()} syscall
-to clean up the ``zombie'' processes.
+to clean up the @emph{zombie} processes.
 
 This is unlike the process API in the standard library, where dropping
 a running Child leaks its resources.")
@@ -78668,8 +78668,8 @@ (define-public rust-stringprep-0.1
     (home-page "https://github.com/sfackler/rust-stringprep")
     (synopsis "Implementation of the ``stringprep'' algorithm")
     (description
-     "This package provides an implementation of the ``stringprep'' algorithm
-as defined in RFC 3454.")
+     "This package provides an implementation of the @code{stringprep}
+algorithm as defined in RFC 3454.")
     (license (list license:expat license:asl2.0))))
 
 (define-public rust-strip-ansi-escapes-0.2
diff --git a/gnu/packages/crates-web.scm b/gnu/packages/crates-web.scm
index f2fadfdeba..e04eaa32a3 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/crates-web.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/crates-web.scm
@@ -2956,7 +2956,7 @@ (define-public rust-hickory-recursor-0.24
     (synopsis
      "Hickory DNS Recursor is a DNS recursive resolver with DNSSEC support")
     (description
-     "*WARNING* This library is experimental
+     "@emph{WARNING} This library is experimental
 
 Hickory DNS Recursor is a safe and secure DNS recursive resolver with DNSSEC
 support.  Hickory DNS is based on the Tokio and Futures libraries, which means
diff --git a/gnu/packages/databases.scm b/gnu/packages/databases.scm
index 170906c087..c19b44776c 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/databases.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/databases.scm
@@ -3195,7 +3195,7 @@ (define-public guile-wiredtiger
      (list guile2.2-bytestructures))
     (synopsis "WiredTiger bindings for GNU Guile")
     (description
-     "This package provides Guile bindings to the WiredTiger ``NoSQL''
+     "This package provides Guile bindings to the WiredTiger @emph{NoSQL}
 database.")
     (home-page "https://framagit.org/a-guile-mind/guile-wiredtiger")
     (license license:gpl3+)))
diff --git a/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm b/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
index 4f88cc5eb8..125eee5790 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
@@ -3417,9 +3417,10 @@ (define-public emacs-xah-fly-keys
       (home-page "http://xahlee.info/emacs/misc/ergoemacs_vi_mode.html")
       (synopsis "Modal keybinding system for Emacs, based on command frequency and
 ergonomics")
-      (description "xah-fly-keys.el is a modal editing mode for Emacs, like Vi,
-but the design of key/command choice is based on command frequency statistics
-and ease-of-key score.  Most frequently used commands have most easy keys.")
+      (description "@emph{xah-fly-keys.el} is a modal editing mode for Emacs,
+like Vi, but the design of key/command choice is based on command frequency
+statistics and ease-of-key score.  Most frequently used commands have most
+easy keys.")
       (license license:gpl3))))
 
 (define-public emacs-xr
@@ -9833,7 +9834,7 @@ (define-public emacs-ob-asymptote
      "This package provides Org Babel support for evaluating Asymptote source
 code.  This differs from most standard languages in that:
 @itemize
-@item there is no such thing as a ``session'' in Asymptote,
+@item there is no such thing as a @emph{session} in Asymptote,
 @item we are generally only going to return results of type @code{file},
 @item we are adding the @code{file} and @code{cmdline} header arguments, if
 file is omitted then the @samp{-V} option is passed to the @command{asy}
@@ -14209,8 +14210,8 @@ (define-public emacs-swiper
 The search regex can be split into groups with a space.  Each group is
 highlighted with a different face.
 
-It can double as a quick `regex-builder', although only single lines will be
-matched.")
+It can double as a quick @emph{regex-builder}, although only single lines will
+be matched.")
     (license license:gpl3+)))
 
 (define-public emacs-ivy-xref
@@ -16045,8 +16046,8 @@ (define-public emacs-pyvenv
      (list emacs-ert-runner emacs-mocker))
     (home-page "https://github.com/jorgenschaefer/pyvenv")
     (synopsis "Python virtual environment interface for Emacs")
-    (description "pyvenv.el is a minor mode to support using Python virtual
-environments (virtualenv) inside Emacs.")
+    (description "@emph{pyvenv.el} is a minor mode to support using Python
+virtual environments (virtualenv) inside Emacs.")
     (license license:gpl3+)))
 
 (define-public emacs-highlight-indent-guides
@@ -22740,10 +22741,10 @@ (define-public emacs-envrc
     (description
      "This is library which uses Direnv to set environment variables on
 a per-buffer basis.  This means that when you work across multiple projects
-which have @file{.envrc} files, all processes launched from the buffers ``in''
-those projects will be executed with the environment variables specified in
-those files.  This allows different versions of linters and other tools to be
-used in each project if desired.")
+which have @file{.envrc} files, all processes launched from the buffers
+@emph{in} those projects will be executed with the environment variables
+specified in those files.  This allows different versions of linters and other
+tools to be used in each project if desired.")
     (license license:gpl3+)))
 
 (define-public emacs-prop-menu
@@ -26285,7 +26286,7 @@ (define-public emacs-kind-icon
     (home-page "https://github.com/jdtsmith/kind-icon")
     (synopsis "Completion kind icons in Emacs")
     (description "Kind-icon mode adds a colorful icon or text prefix based on
-@code{:company-kind} for compatible completion UIs.  The ``kind'' prefix is
+@code{:company-kind} for compatible completion UIs.  The @code{kind} prefix is
 typically used for differentiating completion candidates such as variables or
 functions.")
     (license license:gpl3+)))
@@ -27287,7 +27288,7 @@ (define-public emacs-vcsh
     (home-page "https://gitlab.com/stepnem/vcsh-el")
     (synopsis "Emacs VCSH integration")
     (description
-     "This library provides basic ``enter'' functionality and a few
+     "This library provides basic @code{enter} functionality and a few
 convenience commands to initialize a @acronym{VCSH, Version Control System for
 $HOME} repository and add files to it.  It can be used in conjunction with
 Magit.")
@@ -30634,7 +30635,7 @@ (define-public emacs-org-web-tools
 for retrieving web page content and processing it into Org mode content.
 
 For example, you can copy a URL to the clipboard or kill-ring, then run
-a command that downloads the page, isolates the ``readable'' content with
+a command that downloads the page, isolates the @emph{readable} content with
 @command{eww-readable}, converts it to Org mode content with Pandoc, and
 displays it in an Org mode buffer.  Another command does all of that but
 inserts it as an Org entry instead of displaying it in a new buffer.")
@@ -34256,7 +34257,7 @@ (define-public emacs-org-drill-table
       (synopsis "Generate Org drill cards using Org mode tables")
       (description
        "This package generates drill cards based on an Org mode table in the
-current subtree.  The cards are inserted under a new ``Cards'' heading in the
+current subtree.  The cards are inserted under a new @emph{Cards} heading in the
 current tree.")
       (license license:gpl3+))))
 
@@ -35023,18 +35024,19 @@ (define-public emacs-nhexl-mode
 
 This minor mode implements similar functionality to @command{hexl-mode},
 but using a different implementation technique, which makes it
-usable as a \"plain\" minor mode.  It works on any buffer, and does
+usable as a @emph{plain} minor mode.  It works on any buffer, and does
 not mess with the undo log or with the major mode.
 
 It also comes with:
 
 @itemize
-@item @command{nhexl-nibble-edit-mode}: a \"nibble editor\" minor mode, where
-the cursor pretends to advance by nibbles (4-bit) and the self-insertion keys
-(which only work for hex-digits) will only modify the nibble under point.
+@item @command{nhexl-nibble-edit-mode}: a @emph{nibble editor} minor mode,
+where the cursor pretends to advance by nibbles (4-bit) and the self-insertion
+keys (which only work for hex-digits) will only modify the nibble under point.
 @item @command{nhexl-overwrite-only-mode}: a minor mode to try and avoid
 moving text.  In this minor mode, not only self-inserting keys overwrite
-existing text, but commands like `yank' and @command{kill-region} as well.
+existing text, but commands like @command{yank} and @command{kill-region} as
+well.
 @item It overrides @code{C-u} to use hexadecimal, so you can do @code{C-u a 4
 C-f} to advance by #xa4 characters.
 @end itemize")
diff --git a/gnu/packages/emulators.scm b/gnu/packages/emulators.scm
index b65c91cdf5..6accb783db 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/emulators.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/emulators.scm
@@ -3710,7 +3710,7 @@ (define-public ppsspp
     (home-page "https://www.ppsspp.org/")
     (synopsis "PSP emulator")
     (description
-     "PPSSPP is a ``high-level'' emulator simulating the PSP operating
+     "PPSSPP is a @emph{high-level} emulator simulating the PSP operating
 system.")
     (license license:gpl2+)))
 
diff --git a/gnu/packages/fonts.scm b/gnu/packages/fonts.scm
index 69d7d039aa..34ecc5d2b3 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/fonts.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/fonts.scm
@@ -3300,8 +3300,8 @@ (define-public font-bravura
 the W3C Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL).  Bravura draws on the heritage of
 the finest European music engraving of the 19th and early 20th centuries, with
 a bolder and more substantial look than most other music fonts: thin strokes
-are slightly thicker than in other fonts, improving the overall ``blackness''
-of the font and its legibility when read at a distance.
+are slightly thicker than in other fonts, improving the overall
+@emph{blackness} of the font and its legibility when read at a distance.
 
 In addition to Bravura itself, which is for use with music notation
 software (such as MuseScore), the family includes a Bravura Text variant
diff --git a/gnu/packages/fpga.scm b/gnu/packages/fpga.scm
index df0652ae44..9f2734e69b 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/fpga.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/fpga.scm
@@ -624,10 +624,10 @@ (define-public verilator
     (synopsis "Fast Verilog/SystemVerilog simulator")
     (description
      "Verilator is invoked with parameters similar to GCC or Synopsys’s VCS.
-It ``Verilates'' the specified Verilog or SystemVerilog code by reading it,
+It @emph{verilates} the specified Verilog or SystemVerilog code by reading it,
 performing lint checks, and optionally inserting assertion checks and
 coverage-analysis points.  It outputs single- or multi-threaded @file{.cpp}
-and @file{.h} files, the ``Verilated'' code.
+and @file{.h} files, the @emph{verilated} code.
 
 The user writes a little C++/SystemC wrapper file, which instantiates the
 Verilated model of the user’s top level module.  These C++/SystemC files are
diff --git a/gnu/packages/games.scm b/gnu/packages/games.scm
index 1b0847f55e..eb972e2ca9 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/games.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/games.scm
@@ -11843,8 +11843,8 @@ (define-public passage
      "Passage is meant to be a memento mori game.  It presents an entire life,
 from young adulthood through old age and death, in the span of five minutes.
 Of course, it's a game, not a painting or a film, so the choices that you make
-as the player are crucial.  There's no ``right'' way to play Passage, just as
-there's no right way to interpret it.")
+as the player are crucial.  There's no @emph{right} way to play Passage, just
+as there's no right way to interpret it.")
     (license license:public-domain)))
 
 (define-public paperview
diff --git a/gnu/packages/guile.scm b/gnu/packages/guile.scm
index d8cb4a91af..6774415187 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/guile.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/guile.scm
@@ -979,8 +979,7 @@ (define-public guile-zstd
     (inputs (list `(,zstd "lib") guile-3.0))
     (synopsis "GNU Guile bindings to the zstd compression library")
     (description
-     "This package provides a GNU Guile interface to the zstd (``zstandard'')
-compression library.")
+     "This package provides a GNU Guile interface to the @acronym{zstd, zstandard} compression library.")
     (license license:gpl3+)))
 
 (define-public guile-lzma
diff --git a/gnu/packages/haskell-check.scm b/gnu/packages/haskell-check.scm
index e668706959..44da569bfa 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/haskell-check.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/haskell-check.scm
@@ -1155,7 +1155,7 @@ (define-public ghc-tasty-silver
      "This package provides a fancy test runner and support for @dfn{golden
 testing}.  A golden test is an IO action that writes its result to a file.  To
 pass the test, this output file should be identical to the corresponding
-``golden'' file, which contains the correct result for the test.  The test
+@emph{golden} file, which contains the correct result for the test.  The test
 runner allows filtering tests using regexes, and to interactively inspect the
 result of golden tests.")
     (license license:expat)))
diff --git a/gnu/packages/haskell-xyz.scm b/gnu/packages/haskell-xyz.scm
index 4d24d5dd94..2600042454 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/haskell-xyz.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/haskell-xyz.scm
@@ -5792,7 +5792,7 @@ (define-public ghc-hsyaml
 representation (including support for cyclic YAML data structures).
 
 @item Support for the standard (untyped) @emph{Failsafe}, (strict)
-@emph{JSON}, and (flexible) @emph{Core} ``schemas'' providing implicit
+@emph{JSON}, and (flexible) @emph{Core} @code{schemas} providing implicit
 typing rules as defined in the YAML 1.2 specification (including support
 for user-defined custom schemas).
 
@@ -10303,9 +10303,9 @@ (define-public ghc-regex-tdfa
     (home-page "https://wiki.haskell.org/Regular_expressions")
     (synopsis "POSIX extended regular expressions in Haskell")
     (description
-     "Regex-tdfa is a pure Haskell regular expression library implementing POSIX
-extended regular expressions.  It is a \"tagged\" DFA regex engine. It is
-inspired by libtre.")
+     "Regex-tdfa is a pure Haskell regular expression library implementing
+POSIX extended regular expressions.  It is a @emph{tagged} DFA regex engine.
+It is inspired by libtre.")
     (license license:bsd-3)))
 
 (define-public ghc-repline
@@ -10506,7 +10506,7 @@ (define-public ghc-rio
      "This package works as a prelude replacement for Haskell,
 providing more functionality and types out of the box than the standard
 prelude (such as common data types like @code{ByteString} and
-@code{Text}), as well as removing common ``gotchas'', like partial
+@code{Text}), as well as removing common @emph{gotchas}, like partial
 functions and lazy I/O.  The guiding principle here is:
 @itemize
 @item If something is safe to use in general and has no expected naming
@@ -13695,7 +13695,7 @@ (define-public ghc-unsafe
     (home-page "https://hackage.haskell.org/package/unsafe")
     (synopsis "Unified interface to unsafe functions")
     (description "Safe Haskell introduced the notion of safe and unsafe
-modules.  In order to make as many as possible modules ``safe'', the
+modules.  In order to make as many as possible modules @emph{safe}, the
 well-known unsafe functions were moved to distinguished modules.  This
 makes it hard to write packages that work with both old and new versions
 of GHC.  This package provides a single module System.Unsafe that
@@ -15391,7 +15391,7 @@ (define-public ghc-mysql
 most of the MySQL client API.  The major departure from the C API is that in
 Haskell, resource management is mostly automatic and safe.
 
-This library deliberately avoids the question of providing a ``good'' API.
+This library deliberately avoids the question of providing a @emph{good} API.
 Its purpose is to serve as a base upon which higher-level libraries can be
 built.")
     (license license:bsd-3)))
@@ -16153,8 +16153,8 @@ (define-public ghc-witherable
     (home-page "https://github.com/fumieval/witherable")
     (synopsis "Filterable traversable")
     (description
-     "This package provides a stronger variant of `traverse` which can remove elements
-and generalised mapMaybe, catMaybes, filter")
+     "This package provides a stronger variant of @code{traverse} which can
+remove elements and generalised mapMaybe, catMaybes, filter")
     (license license:bsd-3)))
 
 (define-public ghc-hspec-discover
@@ -16263,22 +16263,29 @@ (define-public ghc-random-bytestring
     (home-page "https://www.github.com/larskuhtz/random-bytestring")
     (synopsis "Efficient generation of random bytestrings")
     (description
-     "__This package is deprecated__.  Please, use genByteString from the [random
-package (version >=1.2)](https://hackage.haskell.org/package/random) instead. .
-Efficient generation of random bytestrings.  The implementation populates
-uninitialized memory with uniformily distributed random 64 bit words (and 8 bit
-words for remaining bytes at the end of the bytestring). .  Random words are
-generated using the PRNG from the
-[mwc-random](https://hackage.haskell.org/package/mwc-random) package or the
-[pcg-random](https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pcg-random) package.  It is
-also possible to use a custom PRNG by providing an instance for the RandomWords
-type class and using the function generate from the module
-\"Data.ByteString.Random.Internal\". .  The generated byte strings are suitable
-for statistical applications.  They are /not/ suitable for cryptographic
-applications. .
-![benchmarks](https://hackage.haskell.org/package/random-bytestring-0.1.3.2/src/benchmarks.png)
-. ![detailed
-benchmarks](https://hackage.haskell.org/package/random-bytestring-0.1.3.2/src/benchmarks-details.png)")
+     "@emph{This package is deprecated}.  Please, use genByteString from the
+@url{https://hackage.haskell.org/package/random,random package (version
+>=1.2)]} instead.  Efficient generation of random bytestrings.  The
+implementation populates uninitialized memory with uniformily distributed
+random 64 bit words (and 8 bit words for remaining bytes at the end of the
+bytestring).  Random words are generated using the PRNG from the
+@url{https://hackage.haskell.org/package/mwc-random, mwc-random} package or
+the @url{https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pcg-random, pcg-random} package.
+It is also possible to use a custom PRNG by providing an instance for the
+RandomWords type class and using the function generate from the module
+@code{Data.ByteString.Random.Internal}.  The generated byte strings are
+suitable for statistical applications.  They are @emph{not} suitable for
+cryptographic applications.
+@itemize
+
+@item
+@url{https://hackage.haskell.org/package/random-bytestring-0.1.3.2/src/benchmarks.png,
+benchmarks}
+
+@item
+@url{https://hackage.haskell.org/package/random-bytestring-0.1.3.2/src/benchmarks-details.png,
+detailed benchmarks}
+@end itemize")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public ghc-base64
@@ -16867,9 +16874,10 @@ (define-public ghc-boring
     (home-page "https://github.com/phadej/boring")
     (synopsis "Boring and Absurd types")
     (description
-     "* @@Boring@@ types are isomorphic to @@()@@. . * @@Absurd@@ types are isomorphic
-to @@Void@@. .  See [What does () mean in Haskell -answer by Conor
-McBride](https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33112439/what-does-mean-in-haskell/33115522#33115522)")
+     "@itemize
+@item @code{Boring} types are isomorphic to @code{()}.
+@item @code{Absurd} types are isomorphic to @code{Void}.
+@end itemize")
     (license license:bsd-3)))
 
 (define-public ghc-some
diff --git a/gnu/packages/image.scm b/gnu/packages/image.scm
index 7337a27b88..84ccc91a44 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/image.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/image.scm
@@ -1738,10 +1738,11 @@ (define-public steghide
     (home-page "https://steghide.sourceforge.net")
     (synopsis "`Hide' (nonconfidential) data in image or audio files")
     (description
-     "Steghide is a program to `hide' data in various kinds of image and audio
-files.  This practice is known as @dfn{steganography}, but the method used by
-steghide is not very secure and should not be used where security is at stake.
-Even if a password is used, steghide offers little plausible deniability.
+     "Steghide is a program to @emph{hide} data in various kinds of image and
+audio files.  This practice is known as @dfn{steganography}, but the method
+used by steghide is not very secure and should not be used where security is
+at stake.  Even if a password is used, steghide offers little plausible
+deniability.
 
 Nonetheless, neither color nor sample frequencies are changed, making the
 embedding resistant against first-order statistical tests not aimed
diff --git a/gnu/packages/minetest.scm b/gnu/packages/minetest.scm
index 069de688ef..9d3ec31f84 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/minetest.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/minetest.scm
@@ -797,7 +797,7 @@ (define-public minetest-basic-trains
      "http://advtrains.de/wiki/doku.php?id=usage:trains:basic_trains")
     (synopsis "Collection of basic trains for the Advanced Trains mod")
     (description
-     "This modpack contains the trains which were the ``default'' trains in
+     "This modpack contains the trains which were the @emph{default} trains in
 advtrains up to version 2.2.1.")
     (license (list license:cc-by-sa3.0 license:agpl3+))
     (properties `((upstream-name . "orwell/basic_trains")))))
diff --git a/gnu/packages/monitoring.scm b/gnu/packages/monitoring.scm
index 7dd30f9a6e..aaf9c28b60 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/monitoring.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/monitoring.scm
@@ -754,7 +754,7 @@ (define-public pw
 @item Interactively apply and remove filters on-the-fly, without interrupting
 the source.
 
-@item Make recurring patterns in the stream appear to ``freeze'' on the
+@item Make recurring patterns in the stream appear to @emph{freeze} on the
 screen, using triggers.
 
 @item Prevent the overwhelming amount of output from a program from flooding
diff --git a/gnu/packages/node-xyz.scm b/gnu/packages/node-xyz.scm
index e98eda2a01..c89433f4dd 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/node-xyz.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/node-xyz.scm
@@ -737,7 +737,7 @@ (define-public node-nan
      (list node-readable-stream))
     (home-page "https://github.com/nodejs/nan")
     (synopsis "Native Abstractions for Node.js")
-    (description "Native Abstractions for Node.js (``NaN'') provides a header
+    (description "Native Abstractions for Node.js (@emph{NaN}) provides a header
 file filled with macros and utilities for making add-on development for Node.js
 easier across versions.  The goal is to provide all logic necessary to develop
 native Node.js addons without having to inspect @code{NODE_MODULE_VERSION}.")
@@ -1382,7 +1382,7 @@ (define-public node-serialport-parser-ready
 
 Parsers are used to take raw binary data and transform them into usable
 messages.  This package provides @code{Ready}, a parser that waits for a
-specified sequence of ``ready'' bytes before emitting a ready event and
+specified sequence of @emph{ready} bytes before emitting a ready event and
 emitting data events.")))
 
 (define-public node-serialport-parser-regex
diff --git a/gnu/packages/ocaml.scm b/gnu/packages/ocaml.scm
index 5e7ea6c6f6..dc1c4c7bb0 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/ocaml.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/ocaml.scm
@@ -9287,9 +9287,9 @@ (define-public ocaml-afl-persistent
     (home-page "https://github.com/stedolan/ocaml-afl-persistent")
     (synopsis "Use afl-fuzz in persistent mode")
     (description
-      "afl-fuzz normally works by repeatedly forking the program being tested.
-Using this package, you can run afl-fuzz in ``persistent mode'', which avoids
-repeated forking and is much faster.")
+      "Normally, @command{afl-fuzz} works by repeatedly forking the program
+being tested.  Using this package, you can run @command{afl-fuzz} in
+@emph{persistent mode}, which avoids repeated forking and is much faster.")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public ocaml-monolith
@@ -9313,7 +9313,7 @@ (define-public ocaml-monolith
     (description "Monolith offers facilities for testing an OCaml library (for
 instance, a data structure implementation) by comparing it against a reference
 implementation.  It can be used to perform either random testing or fuzz
-testing by using the @code{afl-fuzz} tool.")
+testing by using the @command{afl-fuzz} tool.")
     (license license:lgpl3+)))
 
 (define-public ocaml-pprint
diff --git a/gnu/packages/opencl.scm b/gnu/packages/opencl.scm
index 036834f567..0856eb0121 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/opencl.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/opencl.scm
@@ -380,7 +380,7 @@ (define-public python-pytools
     (home-page "https://pypi.org/project/pytools/")
     (synopsis "Assorted tools for Python")
     (description
-     "Pytools is a bag of things that are ``missing'' from the Python standard
+     "Pytools is a bag of things that are @emph{missing} from the Python standard
 library:
 
 @itemize
diff --git a/gnu/packages/perl-check.scm b/gnu/packages/perl-check.scm
index e1eb5a0764..2bfc7b1b2d 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/perl-check.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/perl-check.scm
@@ -1177,7 +1177,7 @@ (define-public perl-test-object
 the parent classes.
 
 This should be done to ensure that the implementation of a subclass has not
-somehow ``broken'' the object's behaviour in a more general sense.
+somehow @emph{broken} the object's behaviour in a more general sense.
 
 Test::Object is a testing package designed to allow you to easily test what
 you believe is a valid object against the expected behaviour of all of the
diff --git a/gnu/packages/perl.scm b/gnu/packages/perl.scm
index 773c8f8813..40a64ee4b1 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/perl.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/perl.scm
@@ -1692,9 +1692,9 @@ (define-public perl-class-load
            perl-module-runtime perl-module-implementation))
     (home-page "https://metacpan.org/release/Class-Load")
     (synopsis "Working (require \"Class::Name\") and more")
-    (description "\"require EXPR\" only accepts Class/Name.pm style module
-names, not Class::Name.  For that, this module provides \"load_class
-'Class::Name'\".")
+    (description "@code{require EXPR} only accepts Class/Name.pm style module
+names, not @code{Class::Name}.  For that, this module provides
+@code{load_class 'Class::Name'}.")
     (license (package-license perl))))
 
 (define-public perl-class-load-xs
@@ -4059,7 +4059,7 @@ (define-public perl-devel-globaldestruction
     (home-page "https://metacpan.org/release/Devel-GlobalDestruction")
     (synopsis "Provides equivalent of ${^GLOBAL_PHASE} eq 'DESTRUCT' for older perls")
     (description "Devel::GlobalDestruction provides a function returning the
-equivalent of \"$@{^GLOBAL_PHASE@} eq 'DESTRUCT'\" for older perls.")
+equivalent of @code{$@{^GLOBAL_PHASE@} eq 'DESTRUCT'} for older perls.")
     (license (package-license perl))))
 
 (define-public perl-devel-hide
@@ -5580,8 +5580,8 @@ (define-public perl-file-which
     (synopsis "Portable implementation of the `which' utility")
     (description
      "File::Which was created to be able to get the paths to executable
-programs on systems under which the `which' program wasn't implemented in the
-shell.")
+programs on systems under which the @command{which} program wasn't implemented
+in the shell.")
     (home-page "https://metacpan.org/release/File-Which")
     (license (package-license perl))))
 
diff --git a/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm b/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm
index f49794f3cd..1ce4e7a594 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm
@@ -6804,8 +6804,8 @@ (define-public python-jinja2-time
     (synopsis "Jinja2 Extension for Dates and Times")
     (description
      "This package provides an extension for the template engine Jinja2.  It
-adds a 'now' tag providing a convenient access to the arrow.now() API from
-templates.  A format string can be provided to control the output.")
+adds a @code{now} tag providing a convenient access to the @code{arrow.now()}
+API from templates.  A format string can be provided to control the output.")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public python-pypugjs
diff --git a/gnu/packages/radio.scm b/gnu/packages/radio.scm
index 7816daf0fa..fb89a99e12 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/radio.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/radio.scm
@@ -1454,7 +1454,7 @@ (define-public hackrf
      "Command line utilities and a C library for controlling the HackRF
 Software Defined Radio (SDR) over USB.  Installing this package installs the
 userspace hackrf utilities and C library.  To install the hackrf udev rules,
-you must extend 'udev-service-type' with this package.  E.g.:
+you must extend @code{udev-service-type} with this package.  E.g.:
 @code{(udev-rules-service 'hackrf hackrf #:groups '(\"dialout\"))}.")
     (license license:gpl2)))
 
@@ -1488,8 +1488,8 @@ (define-public bladerf
     (description
      "This package contains a library and command line utilities for
 controlling the BladeRF Software Defined Radio (SDR) over USB.  To install the
-bladerf udev rules, you must extend 'udev-service-type' with this package.
-E.g.: @code{(udev-rules-service 'bladerf bladerf)}.")
+bladerf udev rules, you must extend @code{udev-service-type} with this
+package.  E.g.: @code{(udev-rules-service 'bladerf bladerf)}.")
     (license (list license:bsd-3
                    license:expat
                    license:gpl2+
diff --git a/gnu/packages/scanner.scm b/gnu/packages/scanner.scm
index 21e9506d11..1e9e5a4bfa 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/scanner.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/scanner.scm
@@ -84,13 +84,13 @@ (define-public sane-airscan
     (synopsis "SANE backend for eSCL (AirScan) and WSD document scanners")
     (description ; no @acronym{eSCL} because the meaning isn't officially known
      "This SANE backend lets you scan documents and images from scanners and
-multi-function printers that speak eSCL (marketed as ``AirScan'') or
-@acronym{WSD, Web Services for Devices} (or ``WS-Scan'').
+multi-function printers that speak eSCL (marketed as @emph{AirScan}) or
+@acronym{WSD, Web Services for Devices} (or @emph{WS-Scan}).
 
-Both are vendor-neutral protocols that allow ``driverless'' scanning over IPv4
-and IPv6 networks without the vendor-specific drivers that make up most of the
-sane-backends collection.  This is similar to how most contemporary printers
-speak the universal @acronym{IPP, Internet Printing Protocol}.
+Both are vendor-neutral protocols that allow @emph{driverless} scanning over
+IPv4 and IPv6 networks without the vendor-specific drivers that make up most
+of the sane-backends collection.  This is similar to how most contemporary
+printers speak the universal @acronym{IPP, Internet Printing Protocol}.
 
 Only scanners that support eSCL will also work over USB.  This requires a
 suitable IPP-over-USB daemon like ipp-usb to be installed and configured.
diff --git a/gnu/packages/search.scm b/gnu/packages/search.scm
index 1d7f350afd..c580f3bd61 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/search.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/search.scm
@@ -195,7 +195,7 @@ (define-public perl-search-xapian
     (description
      "Search::Xapian wraps most methods of most Xapian classes.  The missing
 classes and methods should be added in the future.  It also provides a
-simplified, more 'perlish' interface to some common operations.")
+simplified, more @emph{perlish} interface to some common operations.")
     (license license:perl-license)))
 
 (define-public libtocc
diff --git a/gnu/packages/shells.scm b/gnu/packages/shells.scm
index e8f5243569..130318af87 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/shells.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/shells.scm
@@ -1153,7 +1153,7 @@ (define-public nushell
 structure.  For example, when you list the contents of a directory, what you
 get back is a table of rows, where each row represents an item in that
 directory.  These values can be piped through a series of steps, in a series
-of commands called a ``pipeline''.")
+of commands called a @emph{pipeline}.")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public rust-nu-ansi-term-0.50
diff --git a/gnu/packages/shellutils.scm b/gnu/packages/shellutils.scm
index 740c4fab88..f14618de30 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/shellutils.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/shellutils.scm
@@ -398,8 +398,8 @@ (define-public sh-z
                #t))))))
     (synopsis "Jump about directories")
     (description
-     "Tracks your most used directories, based on ``frecency''.  After a short
-learning phase, z will take you to the most ``frecent'' directory that matches
+     "Tracks your most used directories, based on @emph{frecency}.  After a short
+learning phase, z will take you to the most @emph{frecent} directory that matches
 all of the regexes given on the command line in order.")
     (home-page "https://github.com/rupa/z")
     (license license:expat)))
diff --git a/gnu/packages/statistics.scm b/gnu/packages/statistics.scm
index 4e317f7517..13b6e2ad9d 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/statistics.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/statistics.scm
@@ -7774,13 +7774,13 @@ (define-public r-datasaurus
 different distributions.  The datasets represent a larger and quirkier object
 lesson that is typically taught via Anscombe's Quartet (available in the
 'datasets' package).  Anscombe's Quartet contains four very different
-distributions with the same summary statistics and as such highlights the value
-of visualisation in understanding data, over and above summary statistics.  As
-well as being an engaging variant on the Quartet, the data is generated in a
-novel way.  The simulated annealing process used to derive datasets from the
-original Datasaurus is detailed in \"Same Stats, Different Graphs: Generating
-Datasets with Varied Appearance and Identical Statistics through Simulated
-Annealing\" @url{doi:10.1145/3025453.3025912}.")
+distributions with the same summary statistics and as such highlights the
+value of visualisation in understanding data, over and above summary
+statistics.  As well as being an engaging variant on the Quartet, the data is
+generated in a novel way.  The simulated annealing process used to derive
+datasets from the original Datasaurus is detailed in @emph{Same Stats,
+Different Graphs: Generating Datasets with Varied Appearance and Identical
+Statistics through Simulated Annealing} @url{doi:10.1145/3025453.3025912}.")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public r-lmom
diff --git a/gnu/packages/tcl.scm b/gnu/packages/tcl.scm
index a888304e0f..4e5e1a13e7 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/tcl.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/tcl.scm
@@ -143,9 +143,9 @@ (define-public itcl
     (home-page "https://incrtcl.sourceforge.net/")
     (synopsis "Object Oriented programming (OOP) extension for Tcl")
     (description
-     "[incr Tcl] is a widely used object-oriented system for Tcl.  The name is
-a play on C++, and [incr Tcl] provides a similar object model, including
-multiple inheritance and public and private classes and variables.")
+     "@emph{[incr Tcl]} is a widely used object-oriented system for Tcl.  The
+name is a play on C++, and @emph{[incr Tcl]} provides a similar object model,
+including multiple inheritance and public and private classes and variables.")
     (license license:public-domain)))
 
 (define-public expect
diff --git a/gnu/packages/tex.scm b/gnu/packages/tex.scm
index f505b76093..7ed3203881 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/tex.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/tex.scm
@@ -7273,7 +7273,7 @@ (define-public texlive-biblatex-morenames
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/biblatex-morenames")
     (synopsis "New names for standard BibLaTeX entry type")
     (description
-     "This package adds new fields of ``name'' type to the standard entry
+     "This package adds new fields of @code{name} type to the standard entry
 types of BibLaTeX.  For example, @samp{maineditor}, for a @code{@@collection},
 means the editor of @code{@@mvcollection}, and not the editor of the
 @code{@@collection}.")
@@ -13860,9 +13860,9 @@ (define-public texlive-digiconfigs
     (synopsis "Writing ``configurations''")
     (description
      "In Stochastic Geometry and Digital Image Analysis some problems can be
-solved in terms of so-called ``configurations''.  A configuration is basically
-a square matrix of @code{\\circ} and @code{\\bullet} symbols.  This package
-provides a convenient and compact mechanism for displaying these
+solved in terms of so-called @emph{configurations}.  A configuration is
+basically a square matrix of @code{\\circ} and @code{\\bullet} symbols.  This
+package provides a convenient and compact mechanism for displaying these
 configurations.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
@@ -29915,10 +29915,10 @@ (define-public texlive-ordinalpt
     (synopsis "Counters as ordinal numbers in Portuguese")
     (description
      "The package provides a counter style (like @code{\\arabic},
-@code{\\alph} and others) which produces output strings like
-@samp{primeiro} (``first'' in Portuguese), @samp{segundo}, (``second''), and
-so on up to 1999th.  Separate counter commands are provided for different
-letter case variants, and for masculine and feminine gender inflections.")
+@code{\\alph} and others) which produces output strings like @samp{primeiro}
+(@emph{first} in Portuguese), @samp{segundo}, (@emph{second}), and so on up to
+1999th.  Separate counter commands are provided for different letter case
+variants, and for masculine and feminine gender inflections.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-orkhun
@@ -40344,8 +40344,8 @@ (define-public texlive-xyling
     (description
      "The macros in this package model the construction of linguistic tree
 structures as a genuinely graphical problem: they contain two types of
-objects, ``branches'' and ``node labels'', and these are positioned relative
-to a ``grid''.  It is essential that each of these three elements is
+objects, @emph{branches} and @emph{node labels}, and these are positioned relative
+to a @emph{grid}.  It is essential that each of these three elements is
 constructed independent of the other two, and hence they can be modified
 without unwanted side effects.  The macros are based on the XY-Pic package.")
     (license license:lppl)))
@@ -40545,7 +40545,7 @@ (define-public texlive-yb-book
     (synopsis "Template for YB branded books")
     (description
      "This template helps the author design books published on Amazon under
-the ``Y.B.'' brand.")
+the @emph{Y.B.} brand.")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public texlive-yfonts
@@ -44195,7 +44195,7 @@ (define-public texlive-lambda-lists
     (description
      "These list-processing macros avoid the reassignments employed in the
 macros shown in Appendix D of the TeXbook: all the manipulations take place in
-what Knuth is pleased to call ``TeX's mouth''.")
+what Knuth is pleased to call @emph{TeX's mouth}.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-langcode
@@ -70287,8 +70287,8 @@ (define-public texlive-texbytopic
     (synopsis "@emph{TeX by Topic} book")
     (description
      "@emph{TeX by Topic} is a book originally published by Addison-Wesley.
-It describes itself as ``a TeXnician's reference'', and covers the way
-TeX (the engine) works in as much detail as most ordinary TeX programmers will
+It describes itself as @emph{a TeXnician's reference}, and covers the way TeX
+(the engine) works in as much detail as most ordinary TeX programmers will
 ever need to know.")
     (license license:fdl1.3+)))
 
@@ -76001,7 +76001,7 @@ (define-public texlive-pst-layout
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/pst-layout")
     (synopsis "Page layout macros based on PSTricks packages")
     (description
-     "The package provides a means of creating elaborate (``pseudo-tabular'')
+     "The package provides a means of creating elaborate (@emph{pseudo-tabular})
 layouts of material, typically to be overlaid on an included graphic.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
@@ -94590,8 +94590,9 @@ (define-public texlive-cancel
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/cancel")
     (synopsis "Place lines through maths formulae")
     (description
-     "This package draws diagonal lines (``cancelling'' a term) and arrows with
-limits (cancelling a term ``to a value'') through parts of maths formulae.")
+     "This package draws diagonal lines (@emph{cancelling} a term) and arrows
+with limits (cancelling a term @emph{to a value}) through parts of maths
+formulae.")
     (license license:public-domain)))
 
 (define-public texlive-canoniclayout
@@ -103509,10 +103510,10 @@ (define-public texlive-flippdf
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/flippdf")
     (synopsis "Horizontal flipping of pages with pdfLaTeX")
     (description
-     "The package allows the production of a document with pages mirrored.  This is
-sometimes required by publishers who want camera-ready documents to be printed
-on transparent film (to be viewed from the ``wrong'' side).  The package only
-works with pdfLaTeX or LuaLaTeX in PDF output mode.")
+     "The package allows the production of a document with pages mirrored.
+This is sometimes required by publishers who want camera-ready documents to be
+printed on transparent film (to be viewed from the @emph{wrong} side).  The
+package only works with pdfLaTeX or LuaLaTeX in PDF output mode.")
     (license license:lppl1.3c)))
 
 (define-public texlive-floatrow
@@ -105422,9 +105423,9 @@ (define-public texlive-gmdoc-enhance
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/gmdoc-enhance")
     (synopsis "Some enhancements to the @code{gmdoc} package")
     (description
-     "This package provides some enhancements for the @code{gmdoc} package: nicer
-formatting for multiple line inline comments, an ability to comment out some
-code, and a macro to input other files in ``normal'' LaTeX mode.")
+     "This package provides some enhancements for the @code{gmdoc} package:
+nicer formatting for multiple line inline comments, an ability to comment out
+some code, and a macro to input other files in @emph{normal} LaTeX mode.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-gmiflink
@@ -120794,7 +120795,7 @@ (define-public texlive-sttools
      "This package provides a collection of tools and macros, providing:
 miscellaneous float control, page styles for floats, multipage tabulars, even
 columns at end of twocolumn region, switching between one- and two-column
-anywhere, simulating the effect of ``midfloats'', a package to manipulate
+anywhere, simulating the effect of @emph{midfloats}, a package to manipulate
 numerical lists and arrays.")
     (license license:lppl1.3+)))
 
@@ -121061,10 +121062,10 @@ (define-public texlive-suppose
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/suppose")
     (synopsis "Abbreviate the word @emph{Suppose}")
     (description
-     "This package provides commands for abbreviating the word ``Suppose'' in six
-fonts and with other variations.  The author recommends only using these
-commands when the immediately succeeding strings are mathematical in nature.
-He does not recommend using them in formal work.")
+     "This package provides commands for abbreviating the word @emph{Suppose}
+in six fonts and with other variations.  The author recommends only using
+these commands when the immediately succeeding strings are mathematical in
+nature.  He does not recommend using them in formal work.")
     (license license:lppl1.3c)))
 
 (define-public texlive-svgcolor
@@ -124284,8 +124285,9 @@ (define-public texlive-vgrid
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/vgrid")
     (synopsis "Overlay a grid on the printed page")
     (description
-     "The package overlays a grid (whose spacing is @code{\\baselineskip}, which
-offers guidelines for considering the ``rhythm'' of the document on the page.")
+     "The package overlays a grid (whose spacing is @code{\\baselineskip},
+which offers guidelines for considering the @emph{rhythm} of the document on
+the page.")
     (license license:lppl1.3+)))
 
 (define-public texlive-vhistory
@@ -124739,7 +124741,7 @@ (define-public texlive-wordlike
 
 The package aims at making life easier for users who are discontent with
 LaTeX's standard layout settings because they need a layout that resembles the
-usual ``wordlike'' output.")
+usual @emph{wordlike} output.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-worksheet
diff --git a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
index 7d6b5dc46b..0b9fdac4f0 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
@@ -3857,7 +3857,7 @@ (define-public xkbprint
     (home-page "https://www.x.org/wiki/")
     (synopsis "Visualise an XKB keyboard layout description")
     (description
-     "The @command{xkbprint} utility visualises (``prints'') an XKB keyboard
+     "The @command{xkbprint} utility visualises (@emph{prints}) an XKB keyboard
 description as printable or encapsulated PostScript.  It accepts any compiled
 keymap (@file{.xkm}) file that includes a geometry description, or can obtain
 one from a running X server.")
-- 
2.46.0