Subject: [PATCH v3 1/8] gnu: Replace quotations with texinfo markup in Tex packages.

From: Gabriel Wicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2025 11:12:02 +0100

* gnu/packages/tex.scm (texlive-biblatex-morenames, texlive-digiconfigs,
texlive-ordinalpt, texlive-xyling, texlive-yb-book, texlive-lambda-lists,
texlive-texbytopic, texlive-pst-layout, texlive-cancel, texlive-flippdf,
texlive-gmdoc-enhance, texlive-sttools, texlive-suppose, texlive-vgrid,
texlive-wordlike): Fix description.

Change-Id: I7bec393edaa9fc2784390e2103580137de40c0bf
---
 gnu/packages/tex.scm | 66 +++++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 1 file changed, 34 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/tex.scm b/gnu/packages/tex.scm
index bfc923c8e3..1eb24f2e50 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/tex.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/tex.scm
@@ -7273,7 +7273,7 @@ (define-public texlive-biblatex-morenames
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/biblatex-morenames")
     (synopsis "New names for standard BibLaTeX entry type")
     (description
-     "This package adds new fields of ``name'' type to the standard entry
+     "This package adds new fields of @code{name} type to the standard entry
 types of BibLaTeX.  For example, @samp{maineditor}, for a @code{@@collection},
 means the editor of @code{@@mvcollection}, and not the editor of the
 @code{@@collection}.")
@@ -13860,9 +13860,9 @@ (define-public texlive-digiconfigs
     (synopsis "Writing ``configurations''")
     (description
      "In Stochastic Geometry and Digital Image Analysis some problems can be
-solved in terms of so-called ``configurations''.  A configuration is basically
-a square matrix of @code{\\circ} and @code{\\bullet} symbols.  This package
-provides a convenient and compact mechanism for displaying these
+solved in terms of so-called @emph{configurations}.  A configuration is
+basically a square matrix of @code{\\circ} and @code{\\bullet} symbols.  This
+package provides a convenient and compact mechanism for displaying these
 configurations.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
@@ -29915,10 +29915,10 @@ (define-public texlive-ordinalpt
     (synopsis "Counters as ordinal numbers in Portuguese")
     (description
      "The package provides a counter style (like @code{\\arabic},
-@code{\\alph} and others) which produces output strings like
-@samp{primeiro} (``first'' in Portuguese), @samp{segundo}, (``second''), and
-so on up to 1999th.  Separate counter commands are provided for different
-letter case variants, and for masculine and feminine gender inflections.")
+@code{\\alph} and others) which produces output strings like @samp{primeiro}
+(@emph{first} in Portuguese), @samp{segundo}, (@emph{second}), and so on up to
+1999th.  Separate counter commands are provided for different letter case
+variants, and for masculine and feminine gender inflections.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-orkhun
@@ -40344,8 +40344,8 @@ (define-public texlive-xyling
     (description
      "The macros in this package model the construction of linguistic tree
 structures as a genuinely graphical problem: they contain two types of
-objects, ``branches'' and ``node labels'', and these are positioned relative
-to a ``grid''.  It is essential that each of these three elements is
+objects, @emph{branches} and @emph{node labels}, and these are positioned relative
+to a @emph{grid}.  It is essential that each of these three elements is
 constructed independent of the other two, and hence they can be modified
 without unwanted side effects.  The macros are based on the XY-Pic package.")
     (license license:lppl)))
@@ -40545,7 +40545,7 @@ (define-public texlive-yb-book
     (synopsis "Template for YB branded books")
     (description
      "This template helps the author design books published on Amazon under
-the ``Y.B.'' brand.")
+the @emph{Y.B.} brand.")
     (license license:expat)))
 
 (define-public texlive-yfonts
@@ -44195,7 +44195,7 @@ (define-public texlive-lambda-lists
     (description
      "These list-processing macros avoid the reassignments employed in the
 macros shown in Appendix D of the TeXbook: all the manipulations take place in
-what Knuth is pleased to call ``TeX's mouth''.")
+what Knuth is pleased to call @emph{TeX's mouth}.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-langcode
@@ -70287,8 +70287,8 @@ (define-public texlive-texbytopic
     (synopsis "@emph{TeX by Topic} book")
     (description
      "@emph{TeX by Topic} is a book originally published by Addison-Wesley.
-It describes itself as ``a TeXnician's reference'', and covers the way
-TeX (the engine) works in as much detail as most ordinary TeX programmers will
+It describes itself as @emph{a TeXnician's reference}, and covers the way TeX
+(the engine) works in as much detail as most ordinary TeX programmers will
 ever need to know.")
     (license license:fdl1.3+)))
 
@@ -76001,7 +76001,7 @@ (define-public texlive-pst-layout
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/pst-layout")
     (synopsis "Page layout macros based on PSTricks packages")
     (description
-     "The package provides a means of creating elaborate (``pseudo-tabular'')
+     "The package provides a means of creating elaborate (@emph{pseudo-tabular})
 layouts of material, typically to be overlaid on an included graphic.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
@@ -94590,8 +94590,9 @@ (define-public texlive-cancel
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/cancel")
     (synopsis "Place lines through maths formulae")
     (description
-     "This package draws diagonal lines (``cancelling'' a term) and arrows with
-limits (cancelling a term ``to a value'') through parts of maths formulae.")
+     "This package draws diagonal lines (@emph{cancelling} a term) and arrows
+with limits (cancelling a term @emph{to a value}) through parts of maths
+formulae.")
     (license license:public-domain)))
 
 (define-public texlive-canoniclayout
@@ -103509,10 +103510,10 @@ (define-public texlive-flippdf
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/flippdf")
     (synopsis "Horizontal flipping of pages with pdfLaTeX")
     (description
-     "The package allows the production of a document with pages mirrored.  This is
-sometimes required by publishers who want camera-ready documents to be printed
-on transparent film (to be viewed from the ``wrong'' side).  The package only
-works with pdfLaTeX or LuaLaTeX in PDF output mode.")
+     "The package allows the production of a document with pages mirrored.
+This is sometimes required by publishers who want camera-ready documents to be
+printed on transparent film (to be viewed from the @emph{wrong} side).  The
+package only works with pdfLaTeX or LuaLaTeX in PDF output mode.")
     (license license:lppl1.3c)))
 
 (define-public texlive-floatrow
@@ -105422,9 +105423,9 @@ (define-public texlive-gmdoc-enhance
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/gmdoc-enhance")
     (synopsis "Some enhancements to the @code{gmdoc} package")
     (description
-     "This package provides some enhancements for the @code{gmdoc} package: nicer
-formatting for multiple line inline comments, an ability to comment out some
-code, and a macro to input other files in ``normal'' LaTeX mode.")
+     "This package provides some enhancements for the @code{gmdoc} package:
+nicer formatting for multiple line inline comments, an ability to comment out
+some code, and a macro to input other files in @emph{normal} LaTeX mode.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-gmiflink
@@ -120794,7 +120795,7 @@ (define-public texlive-sttools
      "This package provides a collection of tools and macros, providing:
 miscellaneous float control, page styles for floats, multipage tabulars, even
 columns at end of twocolumn region, switching between one- and two-column
-anywhere, simulating the effect of ``midfloats'', a package to manipulate
+anywhere, simulating the effect of @emph{midfloats}, a package to manipulate
 numerical lists and arrays.")
     (license license:lppl1.3+)))
 
@@ -121061,10 +121062,10 @@ (define-public texlive-suppose
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/suppose")
     (synopsis "Abbreviate the word @emph{Suppose}")
     (description
-     "This package provides commands for abbreviating the word ``Suppose'' in six
-fonts and with other variations.  The author recommends only using these
-commands when the immediately succeeding strings are mathematical in nature.
-He does not recommend using them in formal work.")
+     "This package provides commands for abbreviating the word @emph{Suppose}
+in six fonts and with other variations.  The author recommends only using
+these commands when the immediately succeeding strings are mathematical in
+nature.  He does not recommend using them in formal work.")
     (license license:lppl1.3c)))
 
 (define-public texlive-svgcolor
@@ -124284,8 +124285,9 @@ (define-public texlive-vgrid
     (home-page "https://ctan.org/pkg/vgrid")
     (synopsis "Overlay a grid on the printed page")
     (description
-     "The package overlays a grid (whose spacing is @code{\\baselineskip}, which
-offers guidelines for considering the ``rhythm'' of the document on the page.")
+     "The package overlays a grid (whose spacing is @code{\\baselineskip},
+which offers guidelines for considering the @emph{rhythm} of the document on
+the page.")
     (license license:lppl1.3+)))
 
 (define-public texlive-vhistory
@@ -124739,7 +124741,7 @@ (define-public texlive-wordlike
 
 The package aims at making life easier for users who are discontent with
 LaTeX's standard layout settings because they need a layout that resembles the
-usual ``wordlike'' output.")
+usual @emph{wordlike} output.")
     (license license:lppl)))
 
 (define-public texlive-worksheet
-- 
2.46.0