Subject: [bug#74290] [PATCH v2 00/40] Add support for x86_64-gnu, aka the 64bit Hurd.

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2024 18:51:11 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hi!

> Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> root@guixygnu64 ~# uname -a
>> GNU guixygnu64 0.9 GNU-Mach 1.8/Hurd-0.9 x86_64 GNU
>> root@guixygnu64 ~# guix shell --bootstrap -D --expression='(@@ (gnu
>> packages commencement) gnu-make-boot0)'
>> hint: Consider passing the `--check' option once to make sure your shell does not
>> clobber environment variables.
>
> [...]
>
>> building /gnu/store/ps0shilnqwpm40886dnqg4bkazw8pq7i-glibc-bootstrap-0.drv...
>> building /gnu/store/8kqnvyf9i8qgizq69314xa576fj4idy5-gcc-bootstrap-0.drv...
>> building profile with 4 packages...
>
> This is amazing!!

Thank you!  FWIW, I'm currently up to here

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
building /gnu/store/b1zafmkrz9dhh8dmglgjiv4yrf29ygqa-file-boot0-5.45.drv...
building /gnu/store/4b0xk1jdggh2vkca4mj3q29zgbmn06h1-findutils-boot0-4.9.0.drv...
building /gnu/store/k1anwx8nm03i6akc3y65gy1vqj2h14c0-gcc-14.2.0.tar.xz.drv...
building /gnu/store/kycw4rv3vc17a9147i4v8b5cy3cpdj7r-binutils-cross-boot0-2.41.drv...
building /gnu/store/jh9kknd4xnml9bxmdrs2j0vmjxixw6jk-expat-2.5.0.drv...
building /gnu/store/ks454i900xdqizkvjzxff9yg78jhzh08-gcc-14.2.0.tar.xz.drv...
building /gnu/store/7sm2cm9dmhjqqq3qz52dsm2nb6ah4yrg-glibc-2.39.tar.xz.drv...
building /gnu/store/2ykm8n6yynnk4mv8b9qy6liccpbhj9h4-gmp-6.0.0a.tar.xz.drv...
building /gnu/store/vbk133fp4ldi2jrgbg5121f29z7x886w-grep-3.11.tar.xz.drv...
building /gnu/store/h4r8v4kv268vksf2sb0fj1l026svbncg-guile-3.0.9.tar.xz.drv...
building /gnu/store/77pq0ygp8xqxp198r1d924wmgyqc2df6-ld-wrapper-boot0-0.drv...
building /gnu/store/w35zl5n42b8q4m095xb6ng8sxvxxm1xw-libstdc++-boot0-14.2.0.drv...
building /gnu/store/jg59zvvl58dkrpvyxcyg9sghax7skgvw-m4-boot0-1.4.19.drv...
building /gnu/store/2ac7j9xyzv96v52z3gnipb30z61f71kf-gcc-cross-boot0-14.2.0.drv...
- 'build' phasebuilder for `/gnu/store/2ac7j9xyzv96v52z3gnipb30z61f71kf-gcc-cross-boot0-14.2.0.drv' failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/2ac7j9xyzv96v52z3gnipb30z61f71kf-gcc-cross-boot0-14.2.0.drv failed
[..]
checking build system compiler gcc... no
configure: error: Specified CC_FOR_BUILD doesn't seem to work
make[1]: *** [Makefile:5118: configure-gmp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-gcc-cross-boot0-14.2.0.drv-0/build'

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but small things like guix copy (and offloading) don't seem to work.
I'm working up towards a v3 (and getting that "merged") so that others
might help :)

> Glad to see it happen.  I’ve just posted a bargaining proposal :-)
> regarding ‘current-gcc’ etc., let’s see where that goes.

Yeah, I think that's a very good call.

> Anyhow, this is great, it makes the OS more usable.

Yes, that's the idea!

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com