Subject: bug#74287: [PATCH] Rework history Isearch for Eshell

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2024 20:56:29 +0200

> Like mentioned in the emacs-devel list, that's probably how *I'd* want
> a command history search implementation to use, but I also think that an
> Isearch interface makes a lot of sense as an option, depending on user
> preferences. As far as I can tell, we'd have to write different code for
> each of these styles (i.e. you can't just make Isearch use capf). Though as
> mentioned I'm not very familiar with Isearch's internals.

I confirm that the patch uses the right Isearch's internals
to implement the search through Eshell history.

(There is only one typo in the variable name
'eshell--history-isearch-messasge-overlay'.)

> So long as this doesn't prevent a capf-based implementation (and I'm
> guessing it wouldn't, since that would just be a new option), I think we
> could merge this patch. I also prefer to have Shell and Eshell work the
> same way unless there's some compelling reason why they should be
> different.

Having Shell and Eshell work the same way is a nice goal.
There is a patch that implements completion for Shell in bug#74694.
Then Eshell could have something like this later as well.