Subject: Re: bug#74261: 30.0.92; Remove modeline warning for explicit uses of dynamic binding

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2024 23:54:25 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > But I think it is useful to show this warning when person A looks at
  > > person B's file.  Person A is likely to assume the file use lexical
  > > binding, when just about all files do so; therefore, it is useful to
  > > inform A that this file makes the unusual choice.

  > That could be the case, yes.

  > However, another way of looking at such situation is that if the
  > author (person B) decided the file should use dynamic scoping, that's
  > "good enough" for person A.

I think this sentence may have changed the question unintentionally.
"That's good enough for A" means "A should not object to what B
decided".  In that sense, think B's addition of he file variable often
_should_ be good enough for A.

But the question we were discussing is not whether A has a right to
object to B's decision.  It is whether A is aware of B's decision for
that file.  The warning will help make A aware of it.

                                 For example, assume that person B is
  > Emacs maintainers, and the file is part of Emacs.

I think it will be useful to warn A that the file is set up to specify
dynamic binding.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)