Subject: Re: bug#74261: 30.0.92; Remove modeline warning for explicit uses of dynamic binding

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2024 23:32:10 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

I am sorry it took me so late to see and answer this.

  > > So I think that the indicator that this file uses dynamic binding
  > > ought to be somewhat loud, so that users won't overlook it.

  > I tend to agree, but only if the file does not already have a
  > lexical-binding cookie which makes the file use dynamical binding.

Are you assuming that the person looking at the file
is also the file's author?  In that situation, I would agree:
you don't need to be warned that your file is set to use
dynamic binding if you set it that way yourself.

But I think it is useful to show this warning when person A looks at
person B's file.  Person A is likely to assume the file use lexical
binding, when just about all files do so; therefore, it is useful to
inform A that this file makes the unusual choice.

  > Compare this with files that have an unusual encoding or an EOL format
  > that is not the native one on the current platform: we provide an
  > indication on the mode line, but don't insist on having it stand out
  > too much, just a little.

Maybe that too should be bolder just because it is so unusual that no
one would be thinking about it.  But I don't feel so strongly about
either of these issues that I would argue about it.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)