Subject: bug#7425: 23.2.90; buffer menu in meun-bar not updating

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:16:37 +0100

2010-11-17 22:21, Glenn Morris skrev:
>
> Associated Ubuntu bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/appmenu-gtk/+bug/673302
>
> (I have no idea if this an Emacs problem or a problem in `appmenu-gtk'.)
>
>

When appmenu is in effect, the menu bar reports wanted height 0 after Emacs 
has told it to show itself.  It is not until it is mapped that it reports the 
correct size, but currently we don't look for that.  So Emacs thinks the menu 
bar is 0 height so no clicks are detected as for the menu bar, and the buffer 
menu (and others) does not get updated.  This is in Emacs 23 as well.

But if appmenu shows the menu elsewhere (it purpose is to take the application 
meny and show it elsewhere, in the panel a'la OSX for example), Emacs receives 
no clicks whatsoever, and then the buffer menu can never be updated in the way 
it is done today.

So either we must update menus differently (i.e. not on click) or detect that 
the menu is about to activate in a different way.

Appmenu seems like a hack, it does not get the Emacs menus right (keyboard 
shortcuts omitted, see screen shots), it messes with reported widget sizes, it 
swallows clicks, it hangs X if you try to take a screen shot of the menus in 
the panels, it does not in anyway (unmap/map, realize, other event) tell the 
application if the menu has been moved from the panel to the app or vice 
versa.  And this is after a half hours use...

	Jan D.