Subject: bug#74220: invisible cursor

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2024 09:08:06 +0200

> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2024 11:12:39 -0800
> From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I think Emacs is a special snowflake in that it doesn't (possibly 
> can't?) rely on the GPM daemon drawing the mouse pointer. I did not see 
> any other app with this problem. I tested Vim, Midnight Commander, Nano, 
> and Bash. I don't know what is special about Emacs here. Perhaps the 
> character under the mouse pointer is treated special in redisplay? Not 
> sure.

Emacs needs to know where the mouse pointer is, and the rest it can
figure out by itself.  So if the GPM daemon drawing the mouse pointer
allows to know the pointer coordinates in a way that can be correlated
with the rows and column of the console, we should be okay.

Maybe when the GPM support for Emacs was written, the daemon couldn't
be used for drawing the pointer?

Anyway, one way to try to solve this is to try to use the
daemon-drawing of the mouse pointer.

> I will reach out to the kernel mailing list and see if they are ok 
> relaxing the check and fixing this on their end.

Thanks.