Subject: bug#74220: invisible cursor

From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2024 19:13:56 -0800

On 2024-11-17 17:37, Jared Finder wrote:
> On 2024-11-06 08:17, Stephen Berman wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Nov 2024 07:38:52 -0800 Jared Finder via "Bug reports for 
>> GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" 
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>>> I tested this locally at HEAD (b5845e) on Linux debian 6.1.0-13-amd64 
>>> and
>>> everything is working fine.
>>> 
>>> Could you please describe what terminal (the output of "echo $TERM") 
>>> and
>>> kernel version (the output of "uname -a") you are using when you have 
>>> this
>>> issue? Can you try toggling M-x gpm-mouse-mode on and off and share 
>>> if any
>>> errors are reported?
>> 
>> I can reproduce the issue in the Linux terminal (echo $TERM => linux,
>> uname -a => Linux strobelfssd 6.10.6 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Aug 19
>> 12:15:23 CEST 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux).  When I start emacs there with 
>> -Q,
> 
> Thank you, I am able to reproduce the issue locally on "Linux debian 
> 6.11.5+bpo-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.11.5-1~bpo12+1 
> (2024-11-11) x86_64 GNU=Linux". I will investigate.

This appears to be due to something happening at a lower level than 
Emacs, though perhaps Emacs is not interfacing with GPM correctly.

This started happening in multiple Emacs versions with Linux 6.7. I 
tested HEAD, 29.4, and 28.2 -- all three versions worked fine with Linux 
6.6.63 and then exhibit this bug starting with Linux 6.7. 
GPM_DrawPointer is still being called, of course (since this works in 
previous Linux versions), but is no longer having any effect.

I will keep investigating here.

   -- MJF