Subject: Re: bug#74220: invisible cursor

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2024 17:17:49 +0100

On Wed, 06 Nov 2024 07:38:52 -0800 Jared Finder via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> On Nov 6, 2024 at 6:03 AM, Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On Wed, 06 Nov 2024 14:37:07 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>>>>>>>>> said:
>>>> 
>>>>>> From: Avraham Pinkas <[email-masked]>
>>>>>> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2024 22:06:30 +0200
>>>>>> in a terminal (TTY), while gpm-mouse-mode is enabled, the cursor is
>>>>>> invisible.
>>>> Eli> Does someone (Jared?) have a system with a gpm-mouse build and can
>>>> Eli> reproduce and debug this, please?
>>>> Remind us what this needs? A real linux console, ie not an xterm?
>>> Yes, GPM is for linux virtual consoles.
>
> I tested this locally at HEAD (b5845e) on Linux debian 6.1.0-13-amd64 and
> everything is working fine.
>
> Could you please describe what terminal (the output of "echo $TERM") and
> kernel version (the output of "uname -a") you are using when you have this
> issue? Can you try toggling M-x gpm-mouse-mode on and off and share if any
> errors are reported?

I can reproduce the issue in the Linux terminal (echo $TERM => linux,
uname -a => Linux strobelfssd 6.10.6 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Aug 19
12:15:23 CEST 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux).  When I start emacs there with -Q,
`C-h v gpm-mouse-mode' says the value is t and I see the blinking cursor
in the emacs window, but moving the mouse I see no gpm cursor, though I
can make and yank selections and pull down menus in Emacs with the mouse
(the blinking cursor is not moved by the mouse).  When I type `M-x
gpm-mouse-mode' there are no errors and a cursor appears that moves with
the mouse (the blinking cursor remains visible and unresponsive to the
mouse), though `C-h v gpm-mouse-mode' now says the value is nil; I can
make selections as before (though the highlighting is a different color
than before) but I cannot pull down menus with the mouse.  This is with
emacs-29, emacs-30 and master.

Steve Berman