Subject: bug#74218: [PATCH] Ask confirmation before sending region to search engine.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2024 10:53:23 +0200

> From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Fabio Natali <[email-masked]>,  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2024 09:42:29 +0100
> 
> I too agree that it's a good idea to optionally require confirmation.
> However, I suspect that a yes/no question is not the best interface in
> this case.  Instead, it's better to simply prepopulate the minibuffer
> with the contents of the region.  Then you confirm with RET and cancel
> with C-g.  In addition, this lets you examine and edit your input.

Why copy the region into the mini-window when it is already shown in
the current buffer's window?  By default, it will be highlighted, but
if not (e.g., transient-mark-mode was disabled), we could forcibly
highlight it.  Why is that not enough?

Copying stuff into the minibuffer has the disadvantage of resizing the
mini-window, and then it could hit the limits on such resizes, which
will prevent the user from seeing large portions of the text, if the
region is large.

Also, does anyone have an opinion about asking for confirmation only
for regions that are large enough?  E.g., when the region is a single
word, do we want to ask for confirmation anyway?