Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Zig with no Binary Blobs

From: Hilton Chain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2024 21:13:50 +0800

On Sun, 17 Nov 2024 22:51:48 +0800,
Hilton Chain wrote:
>
> Thanks, I have ported all patches and pushed.  GUIX_ZIG_LIBC_DIR is changed to
> GUIX_ZIG_GLIBC_LINKER and is set as full path in Guix side because I don't want
> mess with strings in Zig side...

Reworked this, patched Zig to search dynamic linker in CROSS_LIBRARY_PATH or
LIBRARY_PATH (added in the use-system-paths patch), no extra environment
variable introduced now.

> > We now have a couple of phases that are before the 'build phase, do you
> > think it'd be better to consolidate them into a 'configure phase?
> > There's no 'configure' script to run, but it does do a lot of
> > preparation before the actual 'build phase...
>
> I have merged these phases into configure, forgot to change commit log though.

Moved zig-target and zig-build-system's configure phase to (guix build
zig-utils) to avoid dependency issue, as building Zig now uses them too.

Removed nonfree files (IETF RFC documents) from Zig source.

I'll take a look at Zig package manager support.