Subject: bug#74216: [science team] flint build failure

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2024 15:01:00 +0100

Hello Greg,

Am Tue, Nov 05, 2024 at 03:43:31PM -0500 schrieb Greg Hogan:
> flint fails to build for me with the following error unless I include
> as an input a newer gcc version.

out of curiosity, what is your exact build architecture and processor
line? The package builds without problems on my rather old laptop, and
on the Guix build farms.

I have asked someone who knows the flint code well, and they said it
means that gcc has trouble realising how to expand the assembly code
into load and stores and computation on machines with less than 8
registers. Apparently it is a combination of compiler versions and
processor specifics.

Apart from that, I think we can apply your patch without worries, but
I am just curious about what is happening.

What is mildly worrying is that we already use the "--disable-assembly"
configure flag; this could be a bug in the flint configuration.

Andreas