Subject: bug#74209: glibc upgrade causes locale problems (e.g. with LibreOffice)

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2024 14:43:57 +0900

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Salut,
>
> Gilles <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Deuxième tentative avec une adresse courriel différente...
>
> C'est quoi l'addresse de courrielle différente? Je vois la même
> (cgocable.ca).  As-tu envoyé ton message "À:"  (To: en anglais)
> [email-masked]?  Je ne vois toujours pas ton bogue apparaître sur
> https://guix.gnu.org/, et il ne semble pas être dans la file de
> modération non plus.
>
> Tu devrais avoir reçu un # de ticket si ton message s'est bien rendu à
> la liste d'envoie [email-masked].

I've inadventently created the bug myself, it seems :-).

Copying the original context for others to seed (in French):

Following a 'guix pull' and 'guix upgrade', applications such as
LibreOffice Calc could no longer open documents with accentuated
characters in their file names. Calc would throw "The operation on
$file-name-with-encoding-problem.ods" was started with an invalid
parameter.

I suppose this is a transient problem that would get resolved upon
reconfigure the system so that the whole system uses the newer glibc
upgraded in the recent core-updates merge, but... can we make this
smoother for our users?

Why do we sometimes glibc locales problems when using an old system with
newer user applications on top (or possible vice-versa?).

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim