Subject: bug#74202: closed (Re: bug#74202: 31.0.50; package-el fails to delete outdated elpa packages)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2024 11:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#74202: 31.0.50; package-el fails to delete outdated elpa packages

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74202: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74202
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#74202: 31.0.50; package-el fails to delete outdated elpa packages
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2024 13:05:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2024 14:37:17 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> thank you for your response(s). I understand that this build is not officially supported. Upon further
> investigation I think the culprit is likely UCRT, as the directories are created without write permissions. Former
> versions of Emacs, which used a different C runtime, created directories with read/write permissions.
> 
> Therefore I will report the issue at the appropriate build site.

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 31.0.50; package-el fails to delete outdated elpa packages
From: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2024 09:00:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Using Windows ucrt mps emacs build from

https://github.com/kiennq/emacs-build/releases/tag/v31.319.20241101.0cb75cf

Since like two months or so, most notably package-el, but also other file
deleting operations like expiring eww cache, fails to delete files in
.emacs directory on Windows. The error message is "permission denied". I do
run emacs as the interactively logged in user. FWIW I start emacs from a
bash command line as runemacs.exe

Manually deleting files from within dired in the .emacs-directory works so
I do not think it is a permission issue.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-11-01 built

 on fv-az742-134

Repository revision: 0cb75cf1479375db092a3d14b5ec7ce996d3e598

Repository branch: HEAD

Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045

System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.2009.19045.5011)

Configured using:

 'configure

 --prefix=/d/a/emacs-build/emacs-build/pkg/0cb75cf-ucrt-x86_64

 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fno-semantic-interposition -floop-parallelize-all

 -ftree-parallelize-loops=4 -g3 ' --disable-build-details --without-dbus

 --enable-link-time-optimization --enable-build-details

 --with-compress-install --with-small-ja-dic --with-gif --with-gnutls

 --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-lcms2 --with-mps

 --with-native-compilation --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tree-sitter

 --with-xml2 --with-xpm --with-zlib --without-cairo --without-tiff'

Configured features:

ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES MPS NATIVE_COMP

NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS

TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:

  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8

  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8

  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: elisp-compile

Minor modes in effect:

  global-git-commit-mode: t

  magit-auto-revert-mode: t

  corfu-terminal-mode: t

  winner-mode: t

  windmove-mode: t

  savehist-mode: t

  save-place-mode: t

  recentf-mode: t

  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t

  marginalia-mode: t

  global-auto-revert-mode: t

  icomplete-mode: t

  fido-mode: t

  desktop-save-mode: t

  delete-selection-mode: t

  override-global-mode: t

  tooltip-mode: t

  global-eldoc-mode: t

  show-paren-mode: t

  electric-indent-mode: t

  mouse-wheel-mode: t

  tool-bar-mode: t

  tab-bar-mode: t

  menu-bar-mode: t

  file-name-shadow-mode: t

  global-font-lock-mode: t

  font-lock-mode: t

  blink-cursor-mode: t

  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t

  buffer-read-only: t

  column-number-mode: t

  line-number-mode: t

  transient-mark-mode: t

  auto-composition-mode: t

  auto-encryption-mode: t

  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:

c:/Users/HoechtlJ/OneDrive - WKO
Online/Dokumente/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20241102.1229/transient hides
c:/Users/HoechtlJ/AppData/Local/Emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:

(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug find-dired project ffap grep misearch

multi-isearch ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff

ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util let-alist magit-bookmark bookmark

magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect

magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit

magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge

magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit

magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff

git-commit magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient

magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete server log-edit pcvs-util

add-log magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base which-func imenu

magit-section crm benchmark cursor-sensor dash comp comp-cstr warnings

format-spec display-fill-column-indicator yasnippet hideshow

loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode

mm-archive message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util

mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils

mule-util gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth mail-parse

rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny

epg rfc6068 epg-config display-line-numbers vc-git diff-mode

track-changes files-x vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs

impatient-mode htmlize simple-httpd pp time-date corfu-terminal popon

corfu visual-wrap word-wrap-mode compile text-property-search comint

ansi-osc ansi-color comp-run comp-common flyspell ispell yank-media

markdown-mode edit-indirect rx color thingatpt noutline outline

deeper-blue-theme winner windmove savehist saveplace recentf tree-widget

wid-edit pixel-scroll cua-base ring marginalia autorevert filenotify

icomplete desktop frameset delsel cus-load edmacro kmacro

use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode orderless compat cl-extra

help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf cape-autoloads

corfu-terminal-autoloads corfu-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads

d2-mode-autoloads dape-autoloads dired-sidebar-autoloads

dired-subtree-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads

edit-indirect-autoloads go-mode-autoloads hideshowvis-autoloads

impatient-showdown-autoloads impatient-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads

indent-bars-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase magit-section-autoloads

dash-autoloads marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads

olivetti-autoloads orderless-autoloads popon-autoloads

simple-httpd-autoloads transient-autoloads vundo-autoloads info

with-editor-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url url

url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie

generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse

auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json

subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib

rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook

vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel touch-screen dos-w32 ls-lisp

disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd

fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment

text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow

isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax

font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic

indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese

tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek

romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese

composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook

jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs

theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties

overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap

hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty

move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile mps emacs)

Memory information:

((conses 24 0 0) (symbols 56 0 0) (strings 40 0 0) (string-bytes 1 0)

 (vectors 24 0) (vector-slots 8 0 0) (floats 24 0 0)

 (intervals 64 0 0) (buffers 1000 0))