Subject: bug#74179: %default-bash-profile still references /run/setuid-programs

From: Edouard Klein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2024 20:04:22 +0100

Dear Guix,

/run/setuid-programs was replaced by /run/privileged some time ago.

Some of the users on the-dam.org don't have the new location in their
PATH. I've tracked it down to %default-bash-profile still referencing
the old location (in /gnu/system/shadow.scm):

# Prepend setuid programs.
export PATH=/run/setuid-programs:$PATH

This file ends up in /etc/skel, and from there is copied on the user's
HOME when the user is created.

I've grep /run/setuid-programs in the source and found that it is still
hardcoded in a few places.

Two questions:
If I submitted a patch series addressing these issues, would somebody
review it and apply it within a few weeks ?

And the more interesting one:
How do I correct the issue for my existing users, given that even if I
correct the code and reconfigure, the .bash_profile file in their HOME
is gonna stay the same ?
Maybe I should force everybody to use guix home ?

Cheers,

Edouard.